PDA

View Full Version : Ebo Jaeger Heaters

rcubeiii
04-09-2004, 10:02 AM
My Ebo heaters have a line near the top that says not to allow water to go above this level. However, have seen pictures on this forum that show them totally submerged.

Can anyone confirm that they are submersible. Would like to put mine lower in the tank so I don't have to unplug them during water changes. The fish don't like it much if I forget to plug them back in!! :( ;D

Thanks.

ValorG
04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
I dont see a max level line on mine, do u mean the minimum level line? it just means water shouldnt go lower than that so its ok to submerge it.

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Mine are all submerged

Willie
04-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Only about 3 in every 5 Ebos work, so its a moot point!

Willie >:( >:( >:(

Fish_Fin-atic
04-09-2004, 03:19 PM
*LOL* Good one Willie ;D I'd put the odds closer to 2 out of 5 Ebos work ;D ;D Actually, it's a pretty good selling point for Ebo Jager Company; never mind UNplugging your Ebos for a water change - you don't have to bother PLUGGING them in at all - they'll work pretty much the same! Imagine all the electricity you can save! ;D ;) ;D

slicksta
04-09-2004, 04:26 PM
rcubeiii

I know what your talking about...
there is writing on the top that reads
Do not immerse below water level....
I have never had a problem keeping them totally submerged.
Personally I have never had a 200w ebo fail on me.....
and I never buy bigger than 200w....I just add more of them

John

Himbo
04-10-2004, 06:06 AM
May I ask why you shouldn't go bigger than 200W? Isn't it the bigger the better? ;) ;D

slicksta
04-10-2004, 09:49 AM
It has been my experience that the failure rate over 200w is greater. This is only a theory, but I think the manufacturers use the same controls to run there different size heaters and only increase the size of the heating element. Then larger elements are at the maximum value of the controls capability and they just aren't as reliable at those points.
I've noticed in a house if you have a 600w dimmer and load it with 600w of lighting, it will not last that long. But the same dimmer with 300w of lighting on it will last forever.
In addition using multiple smaller heaters will not cook all your fish as one large one will if it gets stuck on. And conversely if one large one fails you have nothing as apposed to loosing only 50% or 33% of your heating capability if one of a group fails.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-10-2004, 04:47 PM
May I ask why you shouldn't go bigger than 200W? Isn't it the bigger the better? ;) ;D

uh.....uh.....well... in most things I would have to agree.. guess that is why my boyfriend is 6'7", my dog weighs 200 pounds, my boys are a "BIG" pain.... LMAO.. I agree with the theory on two 200's or two smaller heaters, that is what I have in my tanks as we Type ;D and the line thing you are talking about... that was brought up here a year ago, give or take and I was reading and thought OMG!!!! :o :o :o but it is min water line as ALL of mine are submerged.

Did that help? :crazy:

Karen :gorgeous:

04-10-2004, 06:28 PM
rcubeiii,
I just ordered another 200watter from Big Al's and the way they explained it to me is they have to put that on there to meet Canadian regulations/laws, but, the heaters are totally submersible.

HTH,
Bryant

rcubeiii
04-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the input. Contrary to what I've read on this site in a previous thread and in this one, I've never had an Ebo that did not work. Maybe I was just lucky. My max size is 250 W. It will be totally submerged momentarily.

xen
04-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey there,

I've only got the one Jaeger heater (200W). I've had it for over 12 years, and it's never missed a beat. I hear they used to make them better than they do now ;-).

Anyway, it's been running submerged for about 8 months - and no problems at all with it so far.

Cheers!
John

CanadianGuy
04-11-2004, 05:11 PM
The maximum water line mark is there because of Canadian law. The had to add it to get CSA approval. That's also why it doesn't say completely submersible on the box. Thermal Compacts, and Visi-Therms have the same thing, but are completely submersible. I guess it's just cheaper to sell the same heaters in the US, rather than making a special batch without the warning line.

Very Fishy
04-12-2004, 02:01 PM
I bought 2 Rena Cal heaters a few months ago. On their package it states that they are the only heaters that are CSA approved for complete submersion... Both heaters leaked and shorted out within a few days of use. I went back to using Ebo's.

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-12-2004, 06:50 PM
The maximum water line mark is there because of Canadian law. The had to add it to get CSA approval. That's also why it doesn't say completely submersible on the box. Thermal Compacts, and Visi-Therms have the same thing, but are completely submersible. I guess it's just cheaper to sell the same heaters in the US, rather than making a special batch without the warning line.

DA*& CANADIANS! >:( :funny: :funny: :funny: (get you're mouse pointer off of the send this member a private message icon!) :-[
Sorry... I just could not resist! :-[ :P :P :P :P :P Tell them April I was Just making a long standing Joke... April??.... Pril.....? :-[ ROTFL

I HATE to Jinx myself! and why I never posted anything I just guess I am superstitious! KARMA! :crazy:
But I have always had Ebo's,.. and Never had One problem!.. NOW I STG! if I have one problem after saying that.. I am gonna freak! >:( ;D

Going now... gotta knock on salt.... Throw some wood over my shoulder....... :-[

K :gorgeous:

slicksta
04-12-2004, 07:53 PM
GF-in a B'
Please......oh please...send me some of whatever you're on......:crazy:
It can't be legal in the U.S., Canada or anywhere.........well maybe Amsterdam.......

John.......... :-*

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-12-2004, 09:53 PM
John,

ROTFLMAO!!
Uh........actually.... I am just on "My Life" if I thought you could handle it..................... I would send some your way! ;) ;) ;)
I am sure it wasn't intended LOL... but THANKS FOR MAKING MY DAY! ;D

Take care,
adore ya and
Drive you insane later... :-* :-* :-*

K :gorgeous: