PDA

View Full Version : California BlackWorm Storage????

Shive
04-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I just started feeding CBW's to my fish as a trial and they love them. Soooooooo whats a good way to store them? My wife in not liking worms in the fridge, so I have to keep them in a closed container so she can't see them. So what do you store them in?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shive

oodi
04-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Shive,

We bought a bar fridge just to keep the worms in, as well as the dechlorinated water used to rinse them. Hubby also stashes a beer or two in there. ;)

We got ours at Home Depot for just over $100.... but you can get them cheaper.

Judi
:)

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Do a search in the food section and you will see lots of threads on how to store and care for black worms

Shive
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Carol, I did many searches on and found many threads but none dealing with storage! What should I use for the search criteria.

Thanks
Shive

Carol_Roberts
04-09-2004, 04:09 PM
My storage is in a large plastic container with 4 inch sides (no lid). I keep the water about an inch above the worms. They do not escape. Will your wife consider letting you use one of the vegetable crisper drawers?

kjmillerfw
04-09-2004, 06:00 PM
If you keep the frig too cold, they will try to crawl out. I solved that problem just like Oodi said, with a mini frig and turning the temp up a little. I used the worm keepers that Dan sells.

Kathy

Shive
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Kathy....that sounds like the way to go... I would like to order some of these worm keepers! Do they have a tray inside that lifts out that holds the worms? Anyways ow would I get a hold of Dan?

Thanks
Shive

vickie s
04-09-2004, 08:03 PM
If the fridge gets too warm they will also crawl out. We had not realized that the fan on our refrigerator had gone out and the worms started mass exodus from the worm keepers. I have convinced my family that they are the warning alarm for when the fridge gets too warm or too cold. ;D
Shive, click the banner at the top for aquatic foods and read Dan's worm care instructions. HTH.
vickie

04-09-2004, 08:55 PM
To prevent the worms crawling out (thus preventing my wife from killing me), I bought a tupperware rectangular container with the blue rubber edging. They come is all sizes and cost a only few dollars. I drilled about 6 holes on the top of the lid, each about the width of a pencil, for air. When you seal the lid on the worms can't get out, air can get in, family is happy. I also put it in a paper bag so no one using the fridge will see my worms, guess who requested that?? ;D

Jean
04-09-2004, 09:24 PM
There are others that keep them in a small aquarium with an air stone... just saw this, this past weekend and it seems to work just fine. They were kept at room temp.

I may have an extra keeper from Dan or two that I no longer use. I have some stainless pans that I use and it keeps them cold when I take them out of the fridge.

HTH

Jean ;D

kjmillerfw
04-10-2004, 03:20 AM
Shive,

Dan can be reached at email @ blkworms@aol.com or website http://aquaticfoods.com/worms.html

And yes, he has a wormkeeper that is two parts. Check out his website or give him a call to get more details.

I freaked when mine started crawing out and Dan told me to raise the temp in the frig, then all was fine.

The things we do for our fish! ::)

Kathy ;D

Shive
04-11-2004, 10:44 AM
My wife gave up one of the crisper drawers in the fridge (thanks Carol) for the suggestion. I still have to keep it covered and in a paper bag (Thanks MS). I did find a worm tray at the LFS. I use this to rinse the worms very handy. And the fish are eating! I have a 40gl tank with 8 German Reds juvies that would not eat well no matter what I fed. This has been going on now for over 4 weeks! So CBW's have changed all that they fight over them and are actualy starting to act a little less skittish and a little more confident........So many thanks for all your help! Now if the CBW's don't make them sick they should GROW and be healthy fish!

Shive

GulfCoastDiscus
04-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I keep them in a tuperware with a lid no holes and barely enough water on them. Rinse everyday thouroughly. Can't crawl out with a lid.

dan

Carol_Roberts
04-11-2004, 12:46 PM
AS long as you faithfuly rinse your worms and only feed black, wiggly, healthy ones your fish will prosper :thumbsup:

Shive
04-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Carol alot of the worms in this batch (my first) are brown is that bad????

Shive

DarkDiscus
04-12-2004, 03:32 PM
If the worms are black (dark brown) and active, they are good. When they look whitish or light brown and are sluggish, I toss mine.

John

GulfCoastDiscus
04-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Brown is their color. If they turn white they are bad.

Dan