PDA

View Full Version : Peat Moss?

aggie_67
04-10-2004, 05:42 PM
Is the peat moss evryone talks about for treating water, etc "sphagnum peat moss?" When I went to Lowes they had sphagrnum peat moss and an another generic brand that looked more like a bark mulch. What type do you use and where is it available?

CanadianGuy
04-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Sphagnum peat moss is what you want. Canadian Sphagnum peat moss is supposed to be the best. You should be able to get it from any garden centre or home improvment store with a gardening section. Just make sure it's pure peat with nothing else added.

aggie_67
04-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks,

Initially when I saw the sphagram peat moss I felt it couldn't be the right stuff as it was too clean. I always pictured peat as being black and merky. But I'll surely give it a try!!!!

yogi
04-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Check that the peat moss has no additives in it. The peat moss at the Lowes near me contains lime to adjust the ph. I buy my peat moss at Home Depot. I think the make is Lamberts. It has no additives.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Hi Yogi,
I've use a brand from homedepot in the past called "Prime". Does this have lime addidive? The bag does not have a label that states its content. I noticed the tds has gone up on my RO water. I stopped using all together.

Also my peat bomb tends to clog very easily so have any alternative to prevent this?

See pic below
tia,Dan

yogi
04-12-2004, 10:50 PM
The peat moss in my area at Lowes says lime added right on the front of the peat moss. The peat moss I buy at Home Depot or Walgreens just says peat moss.

Peat moss will raise the tds of ro water. It'd releasing tannins and acids into the water. On the other hand it will lower the tds of tapwater. While releasing the tannins and humic acid it's removing calcium dissolved in the water. The peat moss is exhausted when it stops lowering the conductivity of the tapwater.

The peat bomb I use is similar to yours. It's 6 inches in diameter and 20 inches tall. It has to have a center stick with a strainer at the end. (picture to follow) I wrap nylon stocking around the strainer to stop the peat particles from entering my water storage container.

The water enters the canister goes down thru the peat and then up the center pipe to exit the canister. A couple of ideas on why your peat bomb gets clogged. There is something wrong with the center pipe or it's missing the strainer at the end. The pipe and stainer should go almost to the bottom of the canister. Another guess is the peat is packed to tight. Once peat gets wet it expands a lot. This can also cause a clog.

GulfCoastDiscus
04-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Yogi,
Thanks for the reply. I have covered the stariner with nylon stocking already but still clogs after a week. I guess I'm putting too much peat in. I thought about drilling more holes in the center pipe and covering the holes with the stocking.
Thanks again

Dan
ps. My mother lives in Hollywood

yogi
04-13-2004, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't drill more holes if you have a stainer at the bottom. You want the water to go thru the peat. I renew my peat every 2 to 3 days. I get about 200 to 300 gallons of tapwater thru the peat before it's used up. I'm guessing that the peat sitting wet in your peat bomb for a week, is creating a lot of expansion. This is probably the cause of the clog. I would try using less peat like your already thinking of doing.

P.S Hollywood is not that big of a city so your mom can't be to far from me.

htsou
04-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Can you guys explain how the peat moss and peat bomb work? If I want to use peat moss, do I really need peat bomb?? ???

thanks!

GulfCoastDiscus
04-14-2004, 02:37 AM
Thank you Jerry.

My mother is retired in her late 70's. She lives on N24th Ave. I use to live there back in the 90's. I loved it then but I heard the neighborhood is going down.

Htsou,
A peat bomb is a container where water is force slowly through it. The water has more contact with the peat. My waste water from my RO is force by pressure through the canister. It lowers the Ph from 8.4 to 7.6 The canister is a PIA to clean and replace.lol

Dan