PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Start my 1st discus tank

pcgamer02
04-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Hey,

I have been browsing around these forums a while. I thought I would post my plan for getting my tank up and running, to make sure there are no big mistakes.

I will be keeping 6 discus in a 55gallon tank with an emperor 400 filter and a Canister filter w/ peat moss.

Im planning on adding Marineland's Bio Spira Along with Neon/Cardnal tetras (whatever one I can find) to cycle the tank.

Then a week or two later I will add 3 or 4 discus's. Im planning on feeding them Frozen bloodworms and the color graniuals along with flake food.

Let me know what you guys think,

BTW, my ph is 7.4 and the General Hardness or whatever is 2.8

04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Sounds perfect except you better be prepared to wait longer than a week or two. With discus prices there's no sense in rushing, make sure the tank is properly cycled!

pcgamer02
04-11-2004, 01:51 AM
Ya, its a little quick. But bio-spira seems to do the trick. Its pretty much instantly cycled.

SSrowr
04-11-2004, 09:28 AM
the German Hardness or whatever is 2.8

General Hardness? LOL ;D ;) ;D ;)

As far as the tetras go, I hear that the cardinals do alot better with the higher temps. If you do use tetras, try to find these.

Why not buy all the 6 discus at the same time? Are you worried about the bio-load? Better to have a group of about 6 all introduced at the same time so that they can grow together from the start. (so i hear)

~Seth

Carol_Roberts
04-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Do BioSpira (if you can find it) and clear ammonia at 5 ppm. this will have the tank ready for 6 discus in no time. Add a capful or two of ammonia every day or so until the discus arrive. Be sure to test for ammonia, nitrIte and NitrAte to make sure the BioSpira worked - then order the discus

pcgamer02
04-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Do BioSpira (if you can find it) and clear ammonia at 5 ppm. this will have the tank ready for 6 discus in no time. Add a capful or two of ammonia every day or so until the discus arrive. Be sure to test for ammonia, nitrIte and NitrAte to make sure the BioSpira worked - then order the discus

What exactly is "clear amonia" and how do I measure out 5ppm's. Also to the comment about adding 6 discus all at once. I want to get a good variety in my tank. And my pet store usually has a limited supply. (Because they are so expensive) I was gonna add 3 now and 3 later.

Carol_Roberts
04-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Buy an ammonia test kit from your fish store or from Walmart. Here is a picture of the ammonia bottle also purchased from Walmart. Add enough ammonia to the water to register 4 or 5 ppm on your ammonia test kit.

You are only asking for trouble buying discus from two different shipments at a fish store that does not specialize in discus.

Where are you from? Perhaps there is a hobbyist near you or I would contact one of the professionals with a banner on this site ( see top and bottom of page). Get your fish at one time from once source.

pcgamer02
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
THanks for the picture, I will pick up a bottle next time I'm at walmart. My local fish store is very good but unfortunantly they dont specialize in discus, I will just have to time my purchase right I guess. I dont think there are any discus specialty stores near Eugene, Oregon (where I live).

CanadianGuy
04-11-2004, 11:33 PM
yep...might be hard to find someone with quality discus in Oregon! ::)

Check the member map. ;)

pcgamer02
04-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Thought I would give an update on how things are going. I decided not to purchase a canister filter and instead get a good ol' fashioned sponge filter. (canister's are spendy) and a penguin 330 (I already have one cycled so I can steal a bio wheel ofF it to speed cycling along). I got my 55gallon tank today and will be setting it up tomorrow.

mommafish
04-12-2004, 02:58 AM
PC, Hello I'm new to this forum and ran across your thread. There is discus breeder in the Portland, Oregon area. Also has a web site. Hep's discus. The fish look great. My local fish store buys his discus and they are beautiful. Take a look and good luck.

pcgamer02
04-12-2004, 07:51 PM
THanks for the info mommafish. Do you think you could give me a link to his site?

Update on my tank. Bought a spongefilter,penguin330,heater,color granuals and clear amonia from walmart.

mommafish
04-13-2004, 07:35 PM
PC, The web site is www.hepsdiscuscenter.com It is a great site. Good luck and let me know if you need help with directions(Portland native). It would be a great road trip from Eugene. Especially if the prize is a new discus or two,three, etc... Personally, I have not been there yet. I've just seen the fish in my local shop. I plan to visit Hep's in the near future.

pcgamer02
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
PC, The web site is www.hepsdiscuscenter.com It is a great site. Good luck and let me know if you need help with directions(Portland native). It would be a great road trip from Eugene. Especially if the prize is a new discus or two,three, etc... Personally, I have not been there yet. I've just seen the fish in my local shop. I plan to visit Hep's in the near future.

Wow, thanks for the link. Judging by the pictures on his site it looks like he has a top quality hatchery there. I'm planning to take a trip there in a week or two and getting myself some good looking discus!

Scrappi_tt
04-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Yep... Mike has some beautiful fish....

mommafish
04-14-2004, 02:45 AM
PC, Let us know how your experience is at Hep's discus and GOOD LUCK! :)