PDA

View Full Version : possible plants for discus tank

hooha
04-11-2004, 01:52 AM
these are the plants I'm considering for my discus tank, would appreciate any opinions on which ones may not be worth trying

I can also consider adding more anubias and crypts to the mix.

Ludwigia, Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens)
Glossostigma (Glossostigma elatinoides)
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum
Hygrophilia, Tropic Sunset (Hygrophila polysperma
Rotala Indica (Rotala indica)
Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)
Gigantea (Anubias gigantea)
Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
Sword, Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri)
Sword, Red Rubin (Echinodorus 'Rubin')
Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana)
Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)
Tiger Lotus, Green (Nymphaea zenkeri)
Java Fern, Lace (Microsorium pteropus v. ‘Tropica’)
Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana)
Riccia Fluitans
Sword,Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus 'ozelot')
Asian Ambulia (Limnophila sesiliflora)

ChloroPhil
04-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Those are all good plants for discus tanks. I'd nix the riccia though, it tends to infest tanks and can be a real pest if not groomed often.

Best,
Phil

Wahter
04-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Those should work; I've had practically all of those at one time or another (some I ended up getting rid of because they grew too fast and I got tired to trimming them back every week to 2 weeks).

HTH,

Walter

elgecko
04-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I'm not so sure of the Hornwort. I had some in my tank for 4 years growing great. I decided to get discus late last year raised my temp to 83 for the discus. The Hornwort shed all its leaves, made one heck of a mess. I did not keep it in there to see if it would adapt and start to grow again.
About 3 weeks ago I place in some Myriophyllum simulans which looks kinda like Hornwort but has finer leaves and is growing well.

Wahter
04-11-2004, 07:17 PM
I've had hornwort with discus at 84ºF and it grew fine as a floating plant. I think it's one of those plants where, when you increase the temp, you have to balance out the lighting, nutrients, etc...

shalu
04-12-2004, 08:42 PM
My hornwort grew fine and very fast at 87F last two weeks in a discus grow out tank. It is great for sucking up nutrients. I have dropped temp to 84F now.

hooha
04-13-2004, 09:31 AM
I've had hornwort in my current tank for about a month - man does that stuff grow fast.

I was going to put in riccia and hornwort while establishing the tank to suck up the extra nutrients initially and possibly remove them down the line if they get out of hand. Same with the stem plants, although I actually like "puttering" in the aquarium during water changes like a gardener :D

I'm still new to this aquascaping stuff, so I still have that tendency to look at plants and want to put in 20 varieties of plants in the tank. I'm trying to cut back for this tank, but I might consider having one end where I put in a bunch of the extra plants just to see how they grow in the tank conditions.

Thanks for the input guys!

hexed
04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Hooha,
I love tiger lotus! Boy that stuff does great with my discus. I have the left side of my 55 gallon covered in it. Then some of the plantlets fall off and start growing thier own bulbs. That gives me more plants for my other tank. I also have java moss on the driftwood pieces and just got some java fern. I had no luck with val or sword plants, all died on me. As for the rest of the plants you have listed, never tried them so let me know how they do.

elgecko
04-16-2004, 12:38 PM
I can tell you Rotala Indica grows with no problem for me.
Cryptocoryne wendtii suffered the dreaded crypt melt when I increased the temp, it is recovering well now. Same happened with Cryptocoryne crispatula.
Java moss grows good.