PDA

View Full Version : Converting 55gal into discus tank, please help.

mommafish
04-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum and have read many threads. This forum seems very positive and happy. :D
I currently have a 55gallon freshwater(ph=7.0) up and running for over a year. A ten gallon quarantine tank also. I am planning on setting up a 30-40 gallon tank and fill it with the 55gal occupants. Of course I traded in a few fish to consolidate for this move. Now, when setting up for the discus tank should I remove the undergravel filter with low flow powerhead? Or can I keep it running as is with plastic plants and add live plants. Is the undergravel filter and powerhead not good for discus? If I do remove all of this should I empty the tank start new and recycle it again? Or leave the gravel and some water? Please help. ???

Carol_Roberts
04-12-2004, 11:45 AM
If you are planning to purchase a group of 6 juvenile discus to grow out I would remove the gravel and power head.

Do you have another filter on the tank? IF yes, float the media in a bucket of tank water while you wipe doewn and rinse out the old tank. Refill with clean water, put on the old filter (after cleaning in used tank water) and add 4 - 5ppm clear ammonia (Walmart). Feeding clear ammonia will keep the filter alive until the fish arrive. Do a 90% water change the day before the discus arrive.

If you do not have another filter already on the tank buy an Aqua Clear 500 with two internal sponges. Install on tank and add 4-5 ppm ammonia for a fishless cycle (read fishless cycle in beginner index)

Buy healthy discus from from a reputable seller and you'll be set to go ;D

mommafish
04-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Thanks Carol for the reply. Actually, I am debating on raising juveniles or buying larger adults. So, if I choose to start with larger fish(3"+) I can leave the undergravel and powerhead in? Or should I just take it out and do the same as if I were getting juveniles? I do have a Aqua Clear 500 on the tank currently. I've been running both and it seems to work for me and the fish. From my reading some setup directions it seems live plants are a bonus to discus? If so do plants live well with undergravel filters verses without? I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Carol_Roberts
04-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Personally, I do not recommend gravel and undergravel filters for discus. The only plants I use are philodendron that have roots trailing in the aquarium and the leaves drape over the side.

I think beginning discus keepers should focus on learning to keep discus. Once that is mastered then try adding adults to a planted tank. Why don't you buy 3 or4 inch fish - grow them on to 6 inches and them try them with plants.

vickie s
04-13-2004, 10:58 PM
I have had planted tanks for years and 6 months ago started raising discus to add to my planted tanks. I currently have discus in a planted 123gallon and am still growing out a few more young discus to transfer. On thing you might consider is growing out the discus in the 30 to 40 gallon (bare bottom) to get the hang of caring for them. At the same time set up the 55 galon tank with plants and get it established (past the early algea issues and settled), with the current fish if they are compatable with plants. Then when the discus are large enough swap the fish. You may have to make a fish trap out of a 2liter bottle to catch some of the fish in the planted tank. Also, though some planted tank people use undergravel filters, I found that they were a pain. The roots get tangled in them and make the plants hard to rearrange. Just a thought.

mommafish
04-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Thank you Carol and Vickie for the great advice! ;)