PDA

View Full Version : Discus Info

pembrokewelshcorgi
04-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Hello,
I have been admiring discus for quite some time now. I would like to know more about discus because i am dedicating a 110 gallon aquarium to them. Could you suggest how many fish can live comfortably in a 110 gallon tank. Also, I would like to know more about their water chemistry, their dietary needs. And what filters do you reccomend to fit their requirements can handle 110 gallons? Also, do you know of any driftwood that does not turn your water brown? thank you

Very Fishy
04-14-2004, 12:29 PM
The rule of thumb is 10 gallons per adult discus. So for your 110 gallon tank, you could easily keep up to 11 adult discus. As you get more experience, the number of discus can be increased as long as water changes are frequent enough and the tank is maintained properly. Before you buy discus, I would suggest reading through the posts under the various topics. There is alot of great info on this site. I would recommend an AquaClear 500 filter for your 110 g tank. Put 2 sponges inside and a prefilter sponge on the intake. Easy to clean and reasonably priced. As far as driftwood is concerned, I don't think you need to worry about the driftwood tainting your water brown. Discus require frequent water changes so you are always replacing the tank water with new fresh aged water. Saying this I would recommend you go with a bare bottom tank without any driftwood. Feces will collect under the driftwood and make it harder to clean the tank. Don't worry about altering your water chemistry. Just age and heat your tap water in a storage container before you do a water change. I declorinate just to be safe.

Carol_Roberts
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Read through the beginner index stickied at the top of this section - the threads saved there should answer most of your questions ;D