PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cutting Tools

ronrca
04-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Some people have been inquiring on cutting glass therefore I thought I would start a topic showing the tools and method I use to cut glass. I hope this will help.

A word of caution
Extremely sharp edges. You can easily sever your fingers or other body parts. Please be very careful and if in doubt, dont! A word of advice when cutting - do not rush. Be patience and calm thinking of the danger and what you are doing.

Here is a pic of the tools I use for cutting glass!

Starting from left
-bandages for the obvisous reasons
-a dry eraser marker to mark the dimensions on the glass
-a glass cutter made by diamontor or something
-a tile plier used for breaking tiles when cut

I didnt include a measuring tape and straight edge. For the straight edge I use a drywall T square used for cutting drywall. Its 48" long and looks like a T.

ronrca
04-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Here is a pic of an aluminum Drywall T Square.

Jason
04-14-2004, 04:03 PM
alcohol, rags, gloves, and safety glasses!

ronrca
04-14-2004, 07:09 PM
:thumbsup: O yes, thanks Jason! I did forget more things! LOL! The alcohol and rags being used for cleaning the glass, right? I use methanol hydrate actually. Works very good also! ;)

Smokey
04-15-2004, 12:09 AM
you also forgot to mention Kerosene --- to lubricate the glass cutter wheel.

Use a small sponge brush, dipped in the kerosene, to wet the surface of the glass line , to be scored.
Washes of with isopropyl [ rubbing ] alcohol or methyl hydrate [ 99.9% pure].

One other very important piece of equipment ... Diamond grit sand paper.
The diamond grit sand paper will remove all sharp edges, put a finished edge on the glass, and make for siliconing the glass soo much better..

The diamond grit sand paper can be bought at any good glass shop. A 4 inch x 6 foot belt cost about $20.00. CHEAP. comes in different grits, also.

I cut the belt to fit a hand head sanding block ... or just use the sand paper with my bare hand.... this way I can " FEEL " the surface edge of the glass.

The diamond sand paper squares of the edge; puts a professional finish to the tank edges. ...
& all but eliminates the possibility of future cuts..... Thus the need for the bandages may no longer be necessary ! lol...

Smokey
ps - One more thing --- always count the number of fingers, you have; before cutting and handling the glass / & after.

The total should be the same.

ronrca
04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks Smokey! ;) Here is the master, learn from him! :thumbsup:

I have not tried the kerosene. Does it help make the wheel last longer than without?

Diamond grit sander! Your one step ahead of me! LOL! I had a glass shop do the edges for me when I was building 3 tanks. I cut all the glass and took it to the glass shop. I was not impressed with how they broke the corners. My sanding is much better. ;) I'll trying taking some pics of cutting glass hopefully this weekend.

04-15-2004, 11:07 AM
A Horning stone for sharping knifes is a more handly tool to take away the sharp edges if you have 150 pieces of glass to cut.
Jimmy.

CanadianGuy
04-16-2004, 11:26 PM
150 pieces of glass?!?! Did you make every one of your tanks???

Smokey
04-20-2004, 04:39 AM
I must agree with JimmyL. A sharping stone, will do a nice job.

I did start out, in 1992, using a Honing Stone. Unfortunately, I wore it out. lol... quickly.

The diamond grit sandpaper worked out very well; expecially when doing the drilled holes or a small chip. And I did fing the paper to be a bit more effective. MPE.

Kerosene lubicrates the diamond cutter wheel, prolonging it's life. etc. The cut is more defined, resulting in a better break. MPE.

Ron, I remember our discussion about finishing the glass edges. [ back in time ] . You seemed happy with the results of the glass place doing the finishing for you. Sorry to hear of the unfortunate results.

Anyway; The 6 new 55 gallon tanks, I just had built.
I hand finished all the edges, of all the glass, only 30 sheets of 10.5 mil. this time; before they were laid up and glued.

The finishing/polishing is a personal thing. I like the tank edges to be smooth, devoid of any imperfections and or chips.

When I received the tanks, all I had to do was remove the excess silicone and trim them.
Oh yes, I will be double sealing all the joints.
Again - just a personal thing.

Smokey
ps. I hate leaky tanks.

ronrca
04-20-2004, 09:42 AM
You seemed happy with the results of the glass place doing the finishing for you. Sorry to hear of the unfortunate results.
LOL! I was happy that I didnt have to do it but when I got the glass back, the edges were not as round as when I finished them. I believe they were beveled rather than round.

Smokey
04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
O>K>; here is a pic of the finished glass edge.