PDA

View Full Version : THINK THIS WILL DO THE TRICK???

susankay1
04-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Just got this on ebay!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46548&item=3808793 496&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Cant wait to get it hooked up and feel the breeze...LOL

aggie_67
04-17-2004, 12:51 AM
You did realize that blower has a 3 phase motor, won't work on standard household current.

susankay1
04-17-2004, 02:47 AM
UUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, no. What kind of current will it have to have? I have a pretty good electrician so if it can be done, Im sure he can do it. I just saw the double ports and thought that might just do the task at hand. If you know what I will have to do about getting this thing going, please email or IM me. Or post it here so others dont make the same mistake I evidently did....lol. Thanks Susan

slicksta
04-17-2004, 06:48 AM
Go down and check your electrical service and see if it reads single phase or three phase. Should be written somewhere on the electrical panel.
I would almost guarantee you do not have three phase. Most utility companies will not provide it to a residential service unless you can show that you have a need for it...typically you need to have a mansion with a heavy HVAC/appliance load.

sorry...... :-\

susankay1
04-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Well, I dont live in a mansion, obviously...but I do live in an old bank building. I'll have the electrician check it out for me when the blower gets here. I do have 3 breaker/fuse boxes so Im hoping for the best. Thanks, I'll keep you all posted. ::)

aggie_67
04-17-2004, 11:42 PM
May want to try and stop shipment if you can because it gets even worst I'm afraid. Not only do you have a problem with the three phase (Three phase motors are normally used for industrial application) you may also have a problem with the unit being way oversized. I am not an expert on blowers but I am a retired engineer with 35 yrs experience starting up new chemical plants and if I remember right you can't just cut back on the discharge of a regenrative blower, you have to release the excess air which is a very noisey affair. If I were you I would call someone like Jehmco.com who sells all types of air supplies and get there opinion. General guide line might be the unit weigh 42 lbs? Doesn't sound like an aquarium model.

susankay1
04-17-2004, 11:51 PM
thanks Aggie, I'll contact the seller and see if I can get out of the auction. If not, I'll just go ahead with it and then resell it. Man, thought I was doing something good, bummer. 8) ::)

Bar-L
04-18-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm not sure if this will work for you or not, but here goes. A couple of years ago I purchased a 3-Phase table saw, but only had single phase at my house. My solution was a phase converter. This is a device that allows 3-Phase motors to run on Single-Phase power. The unit I purchased was a Phase-a-Matic brand.

http://www.phase-a-matic.com

I used the static converter which basically uses a big capacitor to help start the motor. After the initial start, the capacitor is spent and the motor runs off the single phase 220v at about 2/3 of the rated HP for the motor. They also sell rotary converters that don't reduce the HP for your motor, but they were way more expensive.

hth, Adam

aggie_67
04-18-2004, 10:54 AM
I know how you feel about buying things on ebay. I love ebay and buy numerous items per week but I also had to pay an expensive learning curve.

susankay1
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks Adam, any idea what that puppy cost? I will look into that definately!!!! Even 2/3s of 1 hp should be a world of air, right? Hubby has this monster idea of how many tanks he wants to run so Im thinking extra air wont hurt and I can bleed off any I dont need, since the blower will be located on another floor from where we will be. thanks for the suggestion!!!!

discusmith
04-18-2004, 08:10 PM
This whole situation depends on the power requirements of the three phase motor you are trying to run on single phase. A static phase generator uses capacitors to do this and if the power requirements are big , yes the capacitors can get quite large. The other option is a rotary phase generator which amounts to a three phase motor driven by a single phase motor to generate the third phase. Quite expensive.
The power requirements of this system @ 2.5 amps if I rememeber correctly are not that bad. If your electrician does indeed know his stuff he could build you a static generator fairly easily. I have had to make them for up to 15 HP motors and while the whole efficiency idea of three phase power is lost it does function.

slicksta
04-18-2004, 09:06 PM
I honestly think you would be better off buying a another pump that matches your electrical service... ;)
Though the methods mentioned will work....they are typically used when there is no other choice. I wouldn't throw more money at it and end up with a very inefficient unit with a greater potential for system failure.
JMHO
good luck......John

aggie_67
04-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Don't forget the size. Even if you get it to run, is it 10X or 100X bigger than what you need. Would still call Jehmco.com and ask them what size unit they would suggest for your needs. Don't even mention the regen blower. I have not dealt with them but they sell a full line so they have no reason to push one type over another.

ronrca
04-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Agree with John! By the time you do get it up and running, you will be better off buying a motor rated 120V or 240V single phase. Its a pain and could cost a lot. Using a phase converter may work but will also be hard on the motor reducing is life expectancy. ;)