PDA

View Full Version : New Tank - RO, Tap or Both?

soulsailor
04-20-2004, 06:21 PM
All,

I'm hoping to set-up a new Discus tank, I have a 36*18*15 tank which i think equates to about 35 imp gallons. The tanks been running for apprx 3 weeks now and currently has the "old stock" from my previous tank in it i.e. around 20 Cardinals and a very docile gibbicept (10 inches). I am planning, I think to keep about 4 Discus...

I've been changing the water (around 28 litres) once a week and checking the "stats" regularly. Currently the PH is around 7.6 and the Nitrite seems to be currently at a peak of about 2 and ammonia at about 0.25. I have available to me a source of RO water with a PH of about 6-7 (havent goty exact figures yet) and I was wondering whether I would be better using this water in my regular water changes than using the aged tap water?

If I use purely this RO water over the course of the next few water changes, I guess the tank water will be completey "RO'd" is this ok? Should I ignore using RO, use all RO or a mix of RO and tap water.... i'm confused ???

Also, with the nitrites and ammonia as they currently are should I water change more regularly, or just let the tank settle?

Cheers in advance,
Ant

RyanH
04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't mess with RO at all. Straight tap should be fine.

Carol_Roberts
04-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Straight tap is fine for growing out juveniles.

Your filter is still showing ammonia so it must not be fully cycled. Aren't cardinals sensitive to ammonia?

Don't add discus until ammonia and nitrIte show zero. Keep nitrAte under 5.