PDA

View Full Version : Central Filters and Disease...

CanadianGuy
04-21-2004, 06:22 AM
I've pretty much decided to use a central filter on my grow-out tanks....but I was wondering. If all of my pairs are running seperate filters...is there a chance of transmitting a bug to the central system when I move a new batch of fry into to the centralized tanks?

I'm also kinda worried about anything going wrong in a single tank and it spreading to the other 3 as well. That's a possible several hundred infected fish and 300g of water that would need to be treated. I know most of you told me that a central filter was the way to go...but how do you keep that from happening?

gary1218
04-21-2004, 07:15 AM
With my central filter hook up I keep one fine pore sponge filter going in each tank. I use it mainly to polish the water and I clean it out frequently. I also have the ability to take any tank I want off the central system in which case now the sponge acts as the filter for that tank. This way you can treat just one tank with out it affecting the whole system.

BUT, having said that, by the time you notice a problem happening in one of the tanks it's already spread to the other tanks so they'll need to be treated as well.

BUT, having said that, IMO that is also the case if all your tanks are NOT on a central system. In my almost ten years now in the hobby I would say I've seen maybe one person who is meticulous enough with cleaning their tanks that "things" won't spread from one tank to another whether they are on a central system or not.

NOW, having said that ;D, I think there are definite advantages to the central filter and that's the way I'll be setting up all my tanks eventually.

GARY

CanadianGuy
04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks Gary,

I was planning on having a sponge filter or 2 in each tank, as well as being able to isolate an individual tank. Your other points are ones that I've been thinking about too...like how seperate are our tanks really? I know we are all supposed to have a set of everything for each tank so there is no cross contamination, but come on...not everyone does that.

I'm sure I'll still go with the central system...I just want to limit the dangers as much as I can.

Jason
04-21-2004, 04:30 PM
on one of my centrals isolating a tank is easy (as far as taking it off the system)
I use a 1" standpipe in the tank and a 1/2" pvc to return water, taking the tank off the system is as easy as putting caps on the standpipe and water return, drop in a heater and its done.

CanadianGuy
04-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Jason,

I was planning on using a valve to isolate the tank...turn one to stop the overflow from the stand pipe...turn another to shut off the return flow...but your method is even easier!

mikeos
04-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Seperate tanks are great in theory only. to maintain seperation you need duplicate everything, correctly marked up every time. Hand washed every tank...try that at feeding time :(

Lets face it... never going to happen, so everyone gets infected anyway.

at least with a centralised system you only need to treat one system, & save on heaters, filters etc.

Fitting a UV system is always a good idea.

If you dont want the extra filters in the tanks, just chuck them in the filter.

CanadianGuy
04-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Good idea about the filters in the sump Mike. I think I'll keep them in the tanks tho just for added surface aggitation.

The whole point of me even thinking of this was to cut down on the amount of filters and heaters, etc...plus the fact that it's better for growing out discus.

I've been wondering about adding UV to the system as well. I know most here don't think it's neccessary, obviously it's not the end all, be all of disease prevention, but I would think that it would be better to have it than to not...

CanadianGuy
04-23-2004, 12:11 PM

mikeos
04-23-2004, 02:00 PM
UV cost about the same as a good adult discus....you obviously intend to keep quite a few more than that. ;D

Its a matter of risk assesment/insurance....it never hurts & may be benificial.

CanadianGuy
04-24-2004, 12:07 AM
I agree...as long as it isn't hurting the discus I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Moon
04-26-2004, 12:49 PM
One of the problems with UV is the fish are not exposed to regular aquarium bacteria and their immune system is not effective outside the UV system. When one of your fish goes outside a UV system setup it can be exposed a number of bacteria and can succumb to decease very easily. A friend of mine spent thousands of dollars puchasing some African Chiclids that were on a UV system. When the fish were introduced to a non UV fish almost all of them died within a few days.

mikeos
04-26-2004, 03:03 PM
An unfortunate situation Moon. :(

To the best of my knowlege there is no hard evidence ( ie scientific) to support the theory that UV unbalances or compromises the immune system. Good stock in good conditions and fed a healthy diet will have robust immune systems in most cases. There are pathogens in all systems and all fish that can prove lethal to others, and all UV does is prevent certain pathogens from being transfered as readily as in a non UV system.

Systems ( environment and stock) develop resistance to conditions, that are unbalanced when new fish are added, leading to the possible infection of the new arivals or just as likely the existing stock. Viral conditions are unlikely to occur in UV systems, a definate plus IMO.