PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Built Their Own Wet/Dry Filter?

CanadianGuy
04-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm about to start building a wet/dry filter for my central system. It's for 4 75g tanks. Each tank has the bottom drilled and I'll be using a standpipe. The tanks came in yesterday so I'm ready to get started.

The only problem is I'm not sure how to go about it! I understand how a wet/dry filter works and the mechanics of it...but I'm unsure of how to actually build it or where to start. They will be on a rack...2 high...but the bottom tank will be no more than 8" off of the floor because of a beam directly over the tanks. So I will have to drain the tanks to a sump and then pump the water to the top of the filter and once it falls to the other side of the sump, it will get pumped back to the tanks. That's basic enough...but one of my main concerns is how do I ensure that I am getting an even flow of water over the media? I've read about homemade filters that often have dead spots that don't get enough/or any flow. I'm unsure about making the drip plate properly. I'm also not sure if I should build a long and low filter...or a tall one. Or does it even matter? The only requirments I have are that it be no longer than 42"...no wider than about 12"...and no taller than 72"...

Any tips?

Jason
04-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Just do it man! worry about fine-tuning later!

I like using a main return header above the top rack, then use tees to drop water lines to the second row.

CanadianGuy
04-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I like the idea of the main return header over the top tanks and tees to the lower tanks.

How big should the sump be? Is it a certain percentage of the total water volume?

ronrca
04-23-2004, 10:11 AM
There isnt really a set number for the size of sump but I always like 'as big as possible'! LOL! I just like the idea that on my 65G I have a 40G sump. That is actually 105G of total water which techanically I can overstock my tank slightly. ;) I like using containers like Rubbermaid which I buy from Walmart for around $15. Easy to use and setup and replace if needed!

About the design! The flow will also depend on what type of bio media your using. I use 1" sponge on top and a layer of bio balls. When the system is running, there is about 1/4" of water on top of the sponge which they drips onto the bio balls. Works really good!

To help with the water distribution over the bio media, use a spray bar which is basicly a pipe with 1/8" hole drilled every 1/2" or so. I actually use 2 rows of holes an 1" from the first row! ;)

Ive attached a pic showing my biotower. Not quite the wetdry but can give you an idea with the spray bar. ;)

CanadianGuy
04-23-2004, 12:24 PM
The spray bar is a great idea, but I'm wondering if it can handle the flow I need...I figure I'll need to have at least 1500gph...although I could always add more spray bars...

How tough are those rubbermaid containers? The ones I seen have been rather flimsy and would deflect when filled with water...I wouldn't want one to break!

Did you build the bio-tower tank yourself? Finding something to use for the sump is easy enough...rubbermaid or tank...I'm not sure what to do about the tower itself...I've been thinking about using acrylic...I've done a couple very small projects with acrylic so far and I think I can handle it. It wouldn't have to be as perfect as a tank or a sump would since water will only be dripping down the inside...as long as it's glued well enough to stay together it should be fine.

ronrca
04-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Im running a Mag9 using 1" pipe. If you have more flow, more holes, larger holes and longer pipe. You could also use a larger diameter pipe also.

About the containers, by careful which ones. The rubbermaids were not good. They cracked where the "legs" are. Im using the other Walmart brand sterlite or something although I did just pick up 2 heavyduty rubbermaids which I intend to use. They dont have the little legs imprints. Other than that, the containers had no other problems.

I did build the bio filter myself using glass and acrylic. The only acrylic being used in where I drilled the holes. I have built filters for mechanical just out of acrylic for the new fishroom. A word of advice! Use lots of silicon, inside/outside or get the special glue. ;)

jaydoc
04-23-2004, 05:23 PM
The main determining factor for size really isn't how much water you will have in the sump, but how many bioballs or other media you need to accomodate. Certainly any extra water volume you have is a bonus though as mentioned above. Also, discus setups need to be very clean. Despite all your best efforts (prefilters, etc.), a certain amount of sediment ends up in the bottom of the sump. A design that allows for easy cleaning of the sump under the bio tower would be a good thing.
Cary the lesser

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Here's my DIY 55 gallon drum wet/dry filter.

1)55 gallon drum with top cut off. I drilled 1/4" holes in the top to use as my drip plate.
2)bag of bio balls
3)short stand for the bio balls to rest on. This leaves space on the bottom for the water to collect.

GARY

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:13 PM
stand in the bottom of the drum

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:14 PM
bio balls on top of the stand

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:15 PM
drip plate on top

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I'm using a Mag Drive 500gph pump to return the water to the tanks. The pump rests on the floor outside of the wet/dry filter. There's a 1/2" bulk head fitting to connect the pump to the wet/dry.

That's it :D

GARY

gary1218
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
OH YEAH, the clear plastic pipe sticking out the left side of the drum is so that I know where the water level is in the bottom of the drum

GARY

jaydoc
04-23-2004, 10:25 PM
The ultimate example of that age old piece of wisdom, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!
I love it!
Cary the lesser

gary1218
04-23-2004, 11:13 PM
You got it Cary :D

I even have a KISS Discus beef heart recipe ;D

GARY

CanadianGuy
04-24-2004, 12:36 AM
Hmmmm...I even has some extra 55g drums laying around! The only problem is that I need to have a sump for the water to drain into and then pump it to the top of the filter...so I either need 2 sumps or a large one that is sectioned for inflow and outflow.

I could always cut the bottom off of another barrel and stack it under the full barrel. That way the overflow runs to the bottom barrel(the cut one) and then gets pumped up to the top of the full barrel that's set up just like Garys'...then the water gets pumped back into the tanks....

Very interesting! Thanks for the great idea Gary!!! I need to do some figuring and see what I can come up with!