PDA

View Full Version : washing substrate idea

khblock
04-22-2004, 10:11 PM
Hello All,

Well, thanks to Phil & Walter, my husband David is interested in adding plants to his tank at work. We met you guys at the Southern Discus Workshop in Atlanta.

Anywho, we have our plants and we're washing the substrate for the big event tomorrow. Everyone who has a planted tank knows how time consuming to wash media is. Everything we have has holes too big and the clay would wash right through. Then it struck me.

knee high stockings ;D

We doubled the stockings (two stockings, one inside the other because one tears easily) and spooned the media in. You can't put too much media in because you need room to knead it. We washed it until the water ran clear. I then let the filled knee high stockings sit in an empty tank hoping the remaining debris would seep through.

I'm sure others have tried this, but since I couldn't find it when I search through the forum threads, I thought I would post it. Media bags would work too, but stockings are cheaper. ;)

ChloroPhil
04-22-2004, 10:12 PM
That's a great idea! I've always used a fine mesh collander, but stockings would work much better for some of the finer stuff, thanks for the suggestion!

Harriett
04-27-2004, 02:06 PM
I use a combo of what you both do and it has worked great....stretching old pantyhose over a colander: you can rinse the substrate and still get the fine mesh stuff saved and not dumped down the sink.
Harriett

António Vitor
04-27-2004, 03:37 PM
I do believe you are throwing a lot of good stuff!
Bacteria in a stable aquarium can prevent water turbity, even in a new aquarium bacteria will come fast!

I am not talking only about nitrifying bacteria, there are a lot more bacterias in the typical aquarium!

I do not wash anything, in no time, if there is enough bacterias (to produce a bio-film), my water will get crystal clear!

that is my oppinion.

Regards!
António Vitor

ChloroPhil
04-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Antonio,

A lot of the substrates we get are very dusty and need washing before putting them into an aquarium to prevent muddy water.

Best,
Phil

António Vitor
04-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Yes I know!
I even have courage to put dusty river sand on my aquarium without any cleaning at all

but of course my bacteria do the work and grab all free particles
;)

drew22to375
06-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I have always used an old pillow case.

lesley
06-08-2004, 05:10 AM
If you have an old window fly screen, or even just buy some of the material you will find it excellent for washing gravel, sand, etc.

Then all you need is lots of water; dream, dream.

Cosmo
06-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I put the substrate in a 5 gal or larger barrel then fill will dechlor water, stir it up with a lenght of 4/3 pvc pipe, then drop in a 401 powerhead with a quickfilter attachment. Stir it up a few times more, change some water, then pour it out into a larger container and start another batch. Only problem is, can go thru several quick filter cartridges but does a great job of getting even fine particles out.
Jim