PDA

View Full Version : help me plant please!!

weeble
04-25-2004, 02:02 PM
ok folks i love my tank and the wood ive found to go in it....im new to planting tho and could never keep much alive years ago when i tried however i would like ppl suggestions since ive gone through alot of the pics here and am greatly impressed. here are a few shots of the tank. im looking at doing discus with perhaps some corys and cardinals.

weeble
04-25-2004, 02:03 PM
another

weeble
04-25-2004, 02:03 PM
1 more

Wahter
04-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Are those Oscars in that tank? Are you planning to keep them in there?
:o :o :o :o

weeble
04-25-2004, 09:36 PM
no the oscars are now moved to the 77gal with my 9" O the only fish left in the 66 are 2 blood parrots and a green severum and a female beta...the first 3 are being given to a friend and the female will move to the 20 gal

Craig

ronrca
04-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Nice tank and I do like the wood. ;)

Before attempting the planting, we need to get some other issues dealt with. These will help determine the types of plants. Are you going to be adding C02? What type and how much lighting do you have? What about the substrate? Is there perhaps a biotope that you would like to create or concentrate on?

;)

jules
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Now Wahter - Oscars and Discus make good companions ;) :-X (until the Oscars get big and hungry)

Have you considered a prefilter on your Aquaclear?

weeble
04-26-2004, 11:33 AM
yes jules i have a prefilter for the aqua clear just had no reason to use it with the oscars. as far a biotypes and stuff i never really thought about it. want something that will go well with discus...any suggestions even just plant lists would work i can come up with something if i have to...would like some low lying plants up front and am thinking a few amazons in the back...i plan on adding CO2 but dont have the equipement just yet and as far as light i have 3 options 1 40w, 2 40w or 1-4 VHO 110w(total 440w)

jules
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Echinodorus Tenellus - or Pygmy Chain Swords are very nice foreground plants. They would be ok without C02 as long as you fertilize the substrate -Swords are root Feeders.

Java Ferns would look good attached to your wood.

ronrca
04-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Plants that grow in discus tanks! ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=12121

The amount of light you require is more or less based on the plant requirements.

Wahter
04-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Okay some things to consider:

1.) don't try to raise juvenile discus in a planted tank. Can be done, but chances are they won't grow to full size. So consider what size discus you want to get first.

2.) what are the dimensions of the tank? You had said it's a 66 gallon tank? You'll need roughly 130 watts of lighting (so the 40 watt light option is out). ;D You can use compact fluorescent lights - a good source for kits are at http://www.ahsupply.com . You'll need more lights if you want to have certain types of plants like rotala macrandra or glossostigma, at around 130, you can keep sword plants, less lighting if you want to just have crypts, anubias, and java fern (microsorum pteropus).

3.) you might have change out the substrate (gravel) in the tank; most aquarium plants like sword (as mentioned) are heavy root feeders. If the gravel is fairly new, then it won't have a lot of "stuff" for the plants to feed on (yes, that stuff isn't great for discus, hence people don't want to grow out discus in a planted tank). On the other hand, you can get root tabs to insert into the gravel into the root area.

4.) the aquarium plants really do much better with CO2. You can try to get by using two DIY (yeast) systems for a bit, but getting a pressurized system is the best.

Hope this info helps.

Walter

weeble
04-26-2004, 11:45 PM
ok well i have a VHO setup or a 95w PC fixture to spare so lighting isnt a problem...as far as CO2 i plan on getting a setup ASAP, and the substrate i will probably trade out anyway even if i dont go with plants
the tank dimensions are 48x16x20