PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy driftwood

knewby
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
I am having trouble finding a good site to buy malaysian driftwood form. A lot of sites seem to have it, but you can't see the specific piece of wood you're buying. I haven't had any luck with ebay or aquabid. Any suggestions are good!

brewmaster15
04-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Not sure if its malaysian, but try jehmco.com

http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH_FOODS_/Driftwood/driftwood.html

-al

knewby
04-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks, I'll have to wait for other pieces to become available. I'll bookmark it for now. Any other sites?

Don_Lee
04-28-2004, 12:07 AM
I would try floridadriftwood.com. Also, check with Randall or Al, they may have some or know where to get some nice stuff.

Don ;D

Wahter
04-28-2004, 12:24 AM
Some aquarium shops stock some nice pieces too - keep in mind you can also put several pieces together to make the impression that it's one big branchy piece.

HTH,

Walter

KD
04-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Try petco.com I think they have it.

knewby
04-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the advice.

RAWesolowski
04-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Consider using "mopani" wood from Africa. The wood is dense and immediately sinks in the aquarium. Highly rot resistant, it initially provides an interesting tannin coloration to your water that fades in a few months.

One side of the wood is smooth, the other is darkly whorled wood. It can be found at numerous sellers on line and at many of the large e-vendors such as Foster & Smith.

stygian7
05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Is cedar okay for an aquarium? I'm sure it would take some work to sink it, but at my parents cabin in Eastern Montana there's boatloads of it. Cedar looks great too with all its twists and bends.

ChloroPhil
05-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Cedar is not ok for aquariums, nor are any other types of coniferous woods. Most conifers are very resinous and will leech poisonous chemicals into the water. They're also very soft and tend to rot quickly Hardwoods are your best bet.

Best,
Phil

Cosmo
06-11-2004, 05:14 PM
We all seem to know the same sources, and everyone beat me to the punch! Drs Foster/smith have both malaysian and African, but you don't get to see the piece you're buying (which is why I haven't bought any from them). Not sure if Jehmco's are either of the two but at least he posts the pictures. Give John and Jehmco a call and I'm sure he'll tell you what variety of wood it is