PDA

View Full Version : APRIL 2004 MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - DAVID WEBBER

DarkDiscus
04-29-2004, 10:55 AM
J - First off, I have to say it was a pleasure to meet David at the NE Discus Association Meeting last month. It was a great time and I learned a lot. Plus it is always nice to meet another fan of good beer. I'm still hoping to make it out for a visit this summer, if the invite is still open! Anyway, I'm just here to announce our guest speaker for the month, DAVID WEBBER!

DW - Thanks, John, for the nice intro. Both the N.E Discus meeting and the Southern meeting were great. I enjoyed meeting people that I only knew from the forums and putting faces to the names. Invitations to my new house are permanently open to Discus lovers.

My name is David Webber.

I was raised on a farm in South West England, in the heart of Devonshire. Did you ever see the movie “ Babe?” The countryside where I come from is very much like that, and so are the farmers, who all wear the same cloth caps & tweed jackets and don’t say much except with a look. Devonshire is famous for Devonshire Clotted Cream and Rough Cider ( Scrumpy) so most of the farmers tend to be chubby with purple noses.

I had pets of every kind, there were always seasonal orphans to hand raise. I even had a pet pig, though she did weigh about 400 lbs. We also had working dogs, Collies for the cattle & sheep herding & Black Labs for gundogs ( & guide dogs). It was idyllic

For the past 20 years I have worked as a professional photographer ( read starving artist). I have lived in Brittany in NW France, London, Israel,
Los Angeles and New York City. After about 15 yrs in Manhattan I finally had enough of the smoke and bought myself a house and moved up to the hills of upstate New York in October last year. Almost a full circle.

Photography and fish are not just methods of income ( jobs) they are also my hobbies. Confucius said “ find a job that you love to do and you will never have to do a days work in your life.” I’m still working on not doing the work but it takes all my time.

When I was about 16 my friend had a 75 gallon long tank with 2 large & beautifully ugly Oscars, which we used to hand feed ‘pinkies’ to see how far we could get the Oscars to stick their heads out of the water. I got my first discus not long after that, a couple of wilds ( I am guessing) that were about 3”. I thought that was how big they got, there was no literature for them at that time, maybe a page here or there but it was hard to find. They survived but didn’t thrive.

Years later, when I got married, the fish ‘had to go.’ Not that there were so many of them but it was the 80s and there was partying to be done. We moved to L.A from London in late 1986, just in time for a few good earthquakes. Unfortunately I was married to a girl who thought that the TV show ‘L .A.. Law’ was a documentary… What’s the difference between an ex-wife and a hurricane? Nothing… they both take the house.

I moved from L.A to NYC in 1989 and after about a 10 year hiatus from the Discus. I was given another tank by a friend & the ‘fever’ came back. Stores were offering ‘2 for the price of one’ deals on tanks – it only made it worse. More tanks require more fish. More fish need more tanks!

Disease issues ( the original “ Plague”) wiped out all of my domestics so I started looking at wilds. I was unable to find anything nice, as wilds were not at all fashionable then, especially Heckels, which everyone seemed to dislike, but which I loved.

I had met a Brazilian Anthropologist who also knew the tropical fish trade extremely well, and he sent me a couple boxes of wilds and our relationship has continued since then and we are old friends by this time. We traveled in Amazonia together. For the last 8 years we have worked together bringing wild discus and more recently rays. At first, I got just a few as I didn’t have a lot of tank space. The market has changed a lot in that time. Quality has risen while prices have come down and the interest in Wild Discus has blossomed.

After few years and frequent minor ‘spills’, finally a massive flood in my 3rd floor loft persuaded the building that they should rent me space in the basement and I had a room there for about 4 years. My very own urban dungeon. Sometimes the Discus did very well for me, other times it was heartbreaking and catastrophic.

Because I get my fish from a trustworthy friend, I have never had to worry about rip-offs and junk fish but I still hear horror stories all the time about the perils of importing. South Americans are not very well organized, shipments are frequently cancelled or bumped. If paperwork does not exactly correspond to the actual shipment, US customs probably will confiscate the whole thing. Most suppliers demand money up front. This often results in lost money with no recourse. An advisor at the Peruvian Consulate told me, “I would not even send advance money to my own brother.” Even if the seller is reputable, you pay in advance, there are always D.O.A.s but replacement for these usually is a credit on the next shipment. So straight away one is tied to them.

For myself, my favorite wilds are… all of them. A good example of any wild fish is a beautiful fish. I keep a few of all types that I bring up, red spotted greens, Golden Browns, Royal Blues, Heckels etc. I also have my own line of domestics I have been trying to get going. I am on F2 with a cross between an original “spot in spot” checkerboard and an Oriental leopard. This produced offspring that have a much more vivid blue in their background behind redder striations in checkerboard pattern. I have some of these paired with each other and others with wilds selected for similar pattern tendencies. I also am hoping that my F1 cross between Marlboro red and wild Golden (I kept the cleanest ones to breed) will soon get their breeding act together. At this time I am getting a lot of spawns but not any good hatches. This is almost certainly because I have too many fish and the bioload is too high. I am constantly draining my well to keep the water good for these guys.

Genetic tests suggest that there is one species of Discus divided into two subspecies. Heckels and everything else. The ‘everything else’ category is divided by appearance into Blues, Browns and Greens.

Blues have blue and also sometimes red striations, from very few on the head to full body they also will run the spectrum in ‘red-ness’. Greens will tend to show a nice metallic sheen , common greens will show striations like blues, anything from a few to being “Royal,” which is not about color but is about the amount of striations and means full striations. Red Spotted greens are almost the same but (obviously) should show spots on their bodies and spots instead of striations on their lower (anal) fin. Browns will tend to only have a few striations on their heads and be a golden to orange color and their lower finnage may tend towards a pink color. You can also find Blues that are called ‘reds’ and browns that are called ‘reds.’ This is how they are usually graded but you can also easily find intermorphs of every type that fall between and defy categorization. Heckels also freely interbreed with the other varieties, producing intermorphs like the so-called ‘Ica’ red or the “Madeira’ heckel.

I currently have a 1000 gallon central system and a bunch of 125 gallon tanks and maybe the same again yet to set up in my basement. When I get new wilds in they get the short-sharp-shock acclimation process with heavy salt and high temperature. Often they will eat immediately as they are usually starving. Other times they will lie on the bottom of the tank for a day or two before recovering. I feed them heartily with anything I have on hand, Bits, flake, blackworms, bloodworms, etc.

Prazi is pretty much standard and often an antibiotic regime is useful, all depending on their condition.

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:01 PM
ooooh look....a legend in my own lunchtime
:)

Got questions? ask them here
David

;D ;D ;D

:soapbox: :yikes: :juggle: :jester: :inquisitive: :gossip: :fish: :furious: :crazy: :argue: :bandana: :book:

Lance_Krueger
04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
David,
Thanks for the info about yourself and your fish. I know the wealth of information you possess could fill up books. I too am a full time professional photographer, and make my living shooting photos for such magazines as Field & Stream and Outdoor Life. And too am extremely eaten up with the discus bug. So in some of my photography travels to upper New York State, we'll have to hook up and talk photography and discus. ;D
All the best,
Lance Krueger

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:34 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:34 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:35 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:36 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:36 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:37 PM

wildthing
04-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Jeff
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Very nice David. It's always nice to see pics of your discus and rays. ;)

gary1218
04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
WOW!!! GREAT job on the pics Dave :D

You forgot two things in your write up though. You forgot to mention your constant helper "The Diz" ;D And, you forgot to mention what a mean pork chop with mash potates and gravey that you make ;D

GARY

alex_m
04-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Cool stuff.

Hey David,

do you think England has any chance in the Euro cup? :o

your bulgarian friend

alex

Goldfish_in_a_bowl
04-29-2004, 09:55 PM
As always.....THANK YOU David!
When are you going to write a book? ;D
The open door policy applies to Rommel as well I hope?
CUZ I ain't leavin him here! ;) ;D LOL
Great FISH... GREAT INTERVIEW! but I don't have to tell you that I think You are Great... now do I?? ;D

Take care and THANKS AGAIN! :-* :-* :-*
K :gorgeous:

Hey GARY... He left ME OUT TO! GOOD DA(* thing he forgot Dizzy.. saved his Butt! ;) ;)

fshngal
04-29-2004, 10:43 PM
David,

You are such an interesting study. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. I envy your talent in breeding the wilds and wish you future successes with your work(fun).

Love you beautiful discus, the wild x mr is very very nice. Pictures are breathtaking.

Fshngal ;)

Tad
04-29-2004, 10:54 PM
David,
Its always great to know more about people and you shared a lot of insight into your life. You have had a very exciting and fun filled life! Great pics of your fish and love the crosses your working with.

regards,
Tad

Wahter
04-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Hey David,

It was nice meeting you in Atlanta and seeing your presentation. It's always interesting to see photos and hear information about where wild discus live, how they are caught, and how they are shipped out.

Take care!

Walter

beta
04-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Good going David :) All the best for the future :)

SLY
04-30-2004, 03:59 AM
Photography and fish are not just methods of income ( jobs) they are also my hobbies. Confucius said “ find a job that you love to do and you will never have to do a days work in your life.” I’m still working on not doing the work but it takes all my time.

Unfortunately I was married to a girl who thought that the TV show ‘L .A.. Law’ was a documentary… What’s the difference between an ex-wife and a hurricane? Nothing… they both take the house.

Good read david..I especially like those 2 quotes from you ;D keep up the good work.

Rod
04-30-2004, 05:08 AM
Well done David, great reading about you. Very nice pix and fish.

fishfarm
04-30-2004, 10:01 AM
Mr Webber. :) Cronic!! Nice write up, makes you sound like an expert. LOL. Take care my friend. Ken

crimson cross
04-30-2004, 12:14 PM
Very nice looking fish, definately not mud. :)

korbi_doc
04-30-2004, 01:36 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi David, good read!! It was so nice to meet you & get to know you at the NE mtg & Al's. I am looking forward to a visit with Korbi to meet the "Diz". Some nice day when they can get out to play, & we can talk "fish"....your fish are fantastic... Dottie 8) 8)

bikhu
04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi David,
Great job thanks. I hope many people take you up on that invitation. I know that we thouroghly enjoyed our visit. The drive is beautiful, the fish are awesome and Diz is the best. You, my friend are an interesting and charming gentleman. A man I enjoy calling friend. I hope to get to visit again soon. I have no more room for fish thoug.. a terrible situation... Do you really need all those 125 gal lawn ornaments? ;D
Peace,
peter

JULIO L.
05-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Hey Dark Discus:

I am really sad and dissapointed about the comentary that appears in this article about to make trades with peruavian people. I appreciate some kind of bad taste to say something like that about peruvian people.I want to say that a lot of people import fishes from Peru and I am sure sure there are DOA and of course there are bad sellers like in any other part in the world even the U.S.

Julio Linares. >:(

RandalB
05-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Because I get my fish from a trustworthy friend, I have never had to worry about rip-offs and junk fish but I still hear horror stories all the time about the perils of importing. South Americans are not very well organized, shipments are frequently cancelled or bumped. If paperwork does not exactly correspond to the actual shipment, US customs probably will confiscate the whole thing. Most suppliers demand money up front. This often results in lost money with no recourse. An advisor at the Peruvian Consulate told me, “I would not even send advance money to my own brother.” Even if the seller is reputable, you pay in advance, there are always D.O.A.s but replacement for these usually is a credit on the next shipment. So straight away one is tied to them.

Julio,
I actually think you misread this. David is not saying that all Peruvain people are like this, he's saying he's heard horror stories. The Shipping delays, disorganized people, etc, etc are examples of things things he's heard of but not experienced. David is definately not saying all Peruvians are like that. The only thing he's stating from personal experience is what the consulate employee told him. As far as paying in advance, this seems to be a standard import practice for both South America and Asia. It's also common place here in the US. I'm not going to send you anything unless you pay in advance, that's for sure.

I am quite certain that David did not mean to offend, but I think this is a simple misunderstanding. We all know that not all people can be judged based on dishonesty of a few. The consulate employee is more than likely a career law enforcement official and we tend to get cynical after a while.

Please don't be offended, I really don't think there is any reason here for you to be.

JMHO,
RandalB

DISCUS USA
05-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Maybe those sentences can be edited more sensitivley to South American folk.In the write up i also understood a negative generalization of the people in that country. :(..Bumped flights,rip offs and confiscations occur world wide ,no need to say South Americans are disorganized makes it sound like they are a bunch of knuckle heads and thats not nice. :-\

Hector Garcia.

Ardan
05-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for taking the time David and John!

Some great info here and beautiful fish!

mench
05-02-2004, 09:01 AM
John and David..another great interview...I have been to David's house,both in NYC and his new house way out in the boondocks and I could not have met a more gracious host.David and his best bud Dizzy make you feel like you have know him for years and his fish ain't half bad either LOL.
If ya like to travel and are ever in his neck of the woods,David's is a must stop.
Just a note to the other people on this thread...Geez get a life...where in the interview does David say bad things about the South Americans...He is just stating his opinions and what he stated could hold true for any part of the world...Man it's getting so ya can't say anything on the boards without getting blasted.
David,I for one am glad to have met you and enjoyed my visits and I am sure going to make a few return trips to "Hooterville" for a visit.

Again John and David,good job

Mench

wildthing
05-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey Dark Discus:

I am really sad and dissapointed about the comentary that appears in this article about to make trades with peruavian people. I appreciate some kind of bad taste to say something like that about peruvian people.I want to say that a lot of people import fishes from Peru and I am sure sure there are DOA and of course there are bad sellers like in any other part in the world even the U.S. but this comentary is absolutly out of place.
I would appreciate Mr.David Weber next time give value to this kind of comentaries do not put them in such an important forum like this one, generalizing a position that is definitly not correct.

Julio Linares. >:(

Senor.
I understand that you love your place of origin, and you should, it is a beautiful place, but I think you need to admit that not everything is the same there as it is here in the USA.
While I did not mean to give offence I stand behind my words and perhaps you should detach and reconsider and be a little more open about the how various cultures of graft and corruption operate in S.American countries. (Do a google search using 'Peru AND corruption' and you will find more than 247. 000 documents) The vast majority of the peoples there are honest but desperately poor and horribly exploited by almost feudal leaders and sadly the actions of a corrupt few taint the rest of the culture.
They are simple statements of fact. I did not say that all Peruvians or all Colombians are drug dealers even tho most of the worlds' cocaine comes from there, any more than all English ( I am English) are soccer hooligans or all Americans voted for Bush even tho he is president.
Would you recommend that anyone here send money in advance to someone in Peru that they don;t know and cannot verify?

Actually several shipments of fish into the USA have recently been impounded from Peru and Colombia because they have been used to smuggle drugs. It has made CNN and the New York Times over the last couple of months. ( the method was ...cocaine dissolved in water in a bag with a fish in another bag of water inside that)... when fish are suspiciously cheap from those countries it is often because they were not the real purpose of the shipment. Most of the Brazilian army is stationed along the borders with your country because of the drug trade and seperatist guerillas....but we shouldn't judge a culture on this kind of thing.....should we???
I quoted a Peruvian official representative to the US. maybe you should take it up with your own embassy or consulate? or better still, if you don;t like the way you think you are percieved then maybe change the culture in your country to more respect foreigners and not constantly sacrifice tomorrow's wealth for short term scams. My own extensive experiences support my statements. I bet anything that secretly you agree that it would be very ill advised to send advance money to any third world country, including Peru , to people you don;t know. The same thing applies to Asian fish or anywhere else... KNOW YOUR SUPPLIER or risk losing your money! The ability to be a scum-bag is not restricted to any one country, We all know there are enough of them even here in the USA....I have never really understood why the Tropical fish industry should interest so many scammers....but I guess that starts at the top...after all look at Axlerod now.....on the run from the law for massive tax evasion and hiding in Cuba

CARY_GLdiscus
05-02-2004, 11:04 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don_Lee
05-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Great information and pics, thanks for participating Dave! ;D

Don

Jason
05-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Great write-up David! thanks for sharing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

April
05-03-2004, 02:10 AM
I enjoyed reading your interview and about some of your childhood etc. thanks for sharing. known you on the forums for about 5 years now..so nice to hear more. . and i love your checkers.
I think David was stressing the fact that hes lukcy he has a good friend and contact in south america to make things consistent for him with not as many ups and downs.
and having a long term relationship with your suppliers helps.also as he said..he has gone down on trips and has learnt alot and seen alot so has an understanding of the whole tropical fish collecting system. etc.
ive seen your pics and commentaries on one of your trips and photography..and they were great. very interesting.
remember...David if you ever need your Dizzy groomed..book an appointment. lol.

fishfarm
05-03-2004, 09:35 AM
Go David!, I sent $2,000 to a supplier in Brazil in Febuary, no fish yet, He stays in contact, claims the government revoked his export licence but won't send me my money back. Can happen anywhere. Look at some of the threads about a cetain dealer here in the USA. I won't send out an guppy with being paid in full including shipping up front. Ken

DiscusDawg
05-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Go DW!!! ;D

DarkDiscus
05-03-2004, 02:44 PM
This is a Forum Member spotlight, not a forum for political commentary or a discussion of the opinions of Mr. Webber, who graciously allowed us to interview him.

Anyone who has any issue with anything said in any one of my spotlights, please IM me or the object of the spotlight. Or even the board admins. If you post anything negative in the spotlight thread, I will delete it.

Thanks.

John