PDA

View Full Version : TOO MUCH OF GPH ??? " OVERFILTRATION " ???

VOYTEK
04-30-2004, 09:13 PM
HI

I have a question.
I'm about to build some wet-dry filter from my 45 gal tank.

1 at first is there something like "overfiltration" ???
2 if yes ( or just suggest me ) how strong pomp should I use ???
3 is too big water flow bad for bacterias ???

Filter is going to have approx - 15- 18 gal of bioballes as a first stage - 5 other stages will be filled with foam, peat ... second last will be filter floss and last approx 5 gal will be the place with pomp

I have 125 gal , bare bottom, very few plants, some driftwood , 6x 5in discus and 2x 4 inch discus.

Any comments - suggestions will be appreciated ;D

Voytek

VOYTEK
04-30-2004, 09:33 PM
forgot to ask .... is there any way that the water which would flow into wet-dry filter could be taken anyhow from the bottom of the aquarium tank ??? ( not as usually for the surface by usage of overflow boxes )

I wish that filter to bee a good mechanical flter too ;)

mikeos
05-01-2004, 12:18 PM
In a similar vein,,,, how do you calculate the rate water will pass through an overflow of given size?

slicksta
05-03-2004, 07:55 AM
This is the overflow design that comes built into a AGA. It works very well.... ;)
It takes from both top and bottom. The suction from water flowing over the top pulls water from the bottom. The inner 2nd wall is shorter and spaced about a 1/4" from the front wall.
To size the capacity of an overflow depends on the size of the drain..I think I havethe #'s written down at home....I'll check.