PDA

View Full Version : Big Screw up!!!

RedestWing
05-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I am a newbie and in need of some advice. I purchased my first Discus about 2-3 months ago. I did not do enough research before I jumped into this and that is my first mistake. I have a 75 gallon tank that is somewhat planted, but only with amazon swords. They are in with 2 German blue rams, 3 Corydoras, 3 black neons and a Bushey nose pleco.
Well, I read that it is not ideal to have young discus in a planted tank, So I decided to put them in a 40 gallon bare tank til they grow out. When I put them in the tank, they did not like it at ALL. They turned almost black and were on their sides and were gasping. So I took them out of the tank and put them back into my 75. What do I need to do? Should I just leave them there in the 75 or do I try again to put them into a bare bottom tank?
The Ph in the 75 seems to rise to near 8.0 no matter what I do, which is another reason I moved them. No matter what I do or how good I do water changes or gravel cleanings I cant seem to maintain a good Ph. I am using aquaclear 300 and a 75 gallon hydro-sponge. Any advice would be great and much apreciated!

Thanx,
Steve

Thanx,
Steve

kalawai
05-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forums.........
Hummmmmmmmmm looks like a major problem-- was the 40 gal tank just set up?
I would have quarantined the little guys in an already aged tank before getting them--then put them into the 75 gal planted tank when they are young adults or older.
I have a 90 gal fully planted tank with other safe amazonia critters--my Discus are young adults and are doing great and growing.
As for now--in the condition they are in??
I hope someone else can help you quick--because these fish are hurting big time.
Best of luck

RedestWing
05-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Well, They are ok in the 75, just that to many say that they will not reach full size in a planted tank. I just did not know if it is best to raise them in a bare bottom .... if they do not grow to be real big, thats ok. The 40 gallon had ran for about a week or so!

Carol_Roberts
05-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Something was wrong with the water in the 40. Either it contained chlorine, the pH was way low, ammonia spike or???

Did you move a cycled filter with the discus?
Was the temp and pH the same as the 75 tank?

kalawai
05-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Please do some tests on the water in the 40 gal and the 75 gal--let us know--so we can help you.

RedestWing
05-03-2004, 09:44 AM
I used the water from the 75 gallon, this is why I am confused. They are in the 75 as of now and seem to be doing alot better. Could it be that since I have kept them in the semi-planted tank they will not be comfotable in a bare bottom?
as for Ph, I am just gonna leave it at 7.5, they seem to not mind it and I know better than to try to lower it, cause I will never be able to keep it lower. Trust me, I have tried many ways, and no matter what, next day it is back up again!

Thanx again for your time !!!

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Dont worry about the pH of your water. They will adapt to it just fine. That might be the source of the problem. Leave the pH of the water alone. What are you using to lower it???

-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
05-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Unless you have wilds purchased from an importer your discus were born and raised in a bare bottom tank.

They turn dark, lay on their sides and gasp when there is a water quality problem.

RedestWing
05-03-2004, 02:49 PM
Ok, I dont see no difference in water quality, my test showed same results in both tanks and the temps were both the same give or take a degree.
I am using proper Ph to keep the Ph lower, I dont know if you guys use this stuff, but the guy I purchased my 75 from was a breeder and he said thats what he used as well. They are doing very well today, they ate a whole cube of blood worms and are swimming around alot.

RedestWing
05-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Also when they were in the bare tank, they would freak out and swim into the glass at full speed, so maybe if i put in a few plants it would make them alot more comfortable

Wahter
05-03-2004, 03:15 PM
I have a friend who grew out a couple of pigeon bloods and a blue diamond out to about 6" in a planted 75 gallon tank - she did a lot of maintenance on that tank, but it's possible to get fish to grow out to that size in a planted tank. Don't know if they would have grown out anymore; when I saw the fish, she was selling them to the employee of a LFS.

HTH,

Walter

SmellsFishy0
05-03-2004, 05:30 PM
putting them in a new tank mighta stressed them out ,scared em a lil being a new surrounding thats prolly why they were layin on there sides n whatnot......just a thought-----Andy M

RedestWing
05-03-2004, 07:30 PM
that may of been what the prob was then, cause all water tests were fine. I will just let them grow in the 75 to be safe. thankyou to all of you for your help. ;D

SmellsFishy0
05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
yea if it aint broke dont fix it.....keep em in the 75g-----AndyM