PDA

View Full Version : uneven tank

SmellsFishy0
05-05-2004, 07:45 PM
hey all......back with another question...i hear of people using foam between there tank and stand for leveling out the tank on an unever floor. anyone else do this and is there any other options other than foam? thanks in advance -----Andy M

Carol_Roberts
05-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Actually I use pieces of wood shim to level tank stands on uneven floors. The stryofoam is just a bit of insurance in case the tank or stand are a little off.

Smokey
05-06-2004, 01:28 AM
Andy;
A sheet of 1" rigid styrofoam [ the dense extruded polystryene insulation type] under the tanks is great for eliminating heat loss, vibrations, etc. It allows the tank to settle in snuggly.
AND the stuff is cheap.
It may not "LEVEL" an uneven stand.
If the stand itself is sitting uneven / because the floor is not level ... well, as Carol has suggested, you need to level the stand base, itself.
First the world is not built square; its round. lol.....
Suggestions - is it a four corner post/leg type of stand or a full bottom frame type?
How much is the tank/stand out of level?.
Pieces of shim material; eg... wood, dense rubber [ hockey pucks], etc, - can be used.
What ever you use think; about how the "shim material" will react to being compressed by the wieght of the tand and how it will react if getting "moist''. Not that anyone but myself "drips" water!

E.G. I have a 28 inch tall -100 gallon -18 inch wide tank, sitting on the factory wood stand. The entire unit is sitting on a carpeted concrete floor.
From front to back - the tank is sitting 1/4" lower in front. [ I just measured it].
What me worry ?? lol..... naw. I just fill the tank so I can not see the water line.

Smokey
p.s. - I will be replacing the factory wooden stand with a steel framed cabinet/ with adjustable levelers.
Anyone want to buy a $300.00 piece of wooden c@*p stand?

korbi_doc
05-06-2004, 09:03 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I also use the styrofoam under the tanks. & it does not help with leveling the stand. My 125g is "out of level by probably >1/2" from left to right, but I just fill so its covered by the frame & don't worry 'bout it. With frequent w/cs never see it. I would've tried to shim it had I known this early on, but its in the LR on carpet, so oh well!! I'm lucky just to get the d@m things up & running!! C'est la vie!! lol, Dottie 8)

KMO
05-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Just a thought, maybe it isn't really your floor or stand, but the carpeting. Most carpet installation uses a tack board that runs parallel to the wall, about 1 inch out. If the back legs of your stand are sitting on that, it will raise it up about 1/2" or so. You should be able to feel around the carpet where it meets the wall. Once you locate how far the tack board is from the wall, it may just be a matter of moving the tank out a little farther from the wall. Not that draining a large tank and moving is simple, but it's a little easier than buying a new stand.
-Kevin

SmellsFishy0
05-06-2004, 09:56 PM
well i just added shims and filled it up, and from side to side the level looks good....BUT front to back is a lil off :smash: ...but i just filled until it was even all around ....so all is pretty well, thanks for the replies -----Andy M

Smokey
05-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Murfey's philosiphy - if all else fails / hide it!!
You did good; Andy.
Dottie - sounds like your end of the world is sinking faster than mine!! lol...........

Kevin ... SHHHHHHHH!!
How else can I justify building a new stand. Hahahahahaha.

Smokey

hexed
05-08-2004, 08:28 PM
I used old coasters that I found in the garage LOL.
They are made of a clear hard plastic material and just put it under the stand legs. If it is a cabinet stand I use piece of wood to shim the side that is off.