PDA

View Full Version : water changes when feeding

etr63
05-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi All
I just got some young discus and have read that you should vac the tank 1 hour after feeding. I plan on doing a 40% WC every day. Do you replace the water taken after each feeding (when vacuming) or do you just replace all the water after the large WC.

Thanks

Earl

April
05-10-2004, 12:20 PM
if you just feed tiny bits..and they come up and eat it all..then you wont need to vacuum unless you see a buildup. . you could vacuum and leave it till you do your wc. if you do a 40 percent a day and bb..you should be fine.
you dont want to have more food than what they eat sittin anyhow or they dont learn to come up and ask. they just pick all day..and then dont respond to you as well. they get a better appetite if tiny amounts as often as you can. and when their up and begging.
congtats on your new discus . its like being a nervous new parent. but im sure you will do great with them.

jrpatter
05-11-2004, 12:32 AM
It depends on the food you are using, but generaly i vac after i geed and they are full, i feed enough so a little bit hits the bottom but not much. I have some that get bullied so the only way they get anything is by getting what slips past the others. Also i feed at 2 different spots so the bully runs herself ragged tryin gto protect both spots.

john