PDA

View Full Version : Some Q's

United21Soccer
05-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Now i have been wanting discus for a while now, and after reading a TON on discus, i feel like now is the time to get them, but first a little backround...

I would put them in a completely cycled 29 gal. (2.5 ft. i believe) tank for a few months until i get my new 75 gal. It was a community tank with various sharks, loaches, and pleco's until they got too big and I sold them. Do you think i should get rid of the rest of the fish? There are 2 bala's, a red tailed black shark along with a common pleco left in there. I know many people recommend a Discus only tank.

The other thing is that it is decorated with plants, rocks, and has a gravel subtrate. Should i worry about left over food and feces getting in the gravel and clouding the water? If so, do you think i should gradually remove the gravel over time.

My water is good right now with pH neutral and nitrites 0, nitrates <0.05mg/l

I do regular water changes and gravel vac. twice weekly, and keep water in a storage bin

Sorry about the long post, but any answers would be appreciated!

Dkarc@Aol.com
05-15-2004, 10:11 PM
You should deffinitly get rid of the other tank mates. If I were you, i'd break the whole tank down and give it a good cleaning to ensure that it is clean.

-Ryan

Discus_Newbie19
05-15-2004, 11:03 PM
You should deffinitly get rid of the other tank mates. If I were you, i'd break the whole tank down and give it a good cleaning to ensure that it is clean
I agree with Ryan its always best to do a total cleaning of a tank before addign discus

DiscusinDaytona
05-16-2004, 08:01 AM
I agree also about getting rid of the tank mates. I had a bala and a leoparinus with my discus for about a yr. the rapid turns and dashes they make cause the discus stress and damage from running into things.

Everyone here seems to have differing views on substrate in tank. I have had gravel for 8 yrs w/no probs. I would not recommend it for young fish or fry however. Gravel bottom is definitely more work as it traps food and waste. I dont mind the extra work. I clean gravel daily w/30-50% wc.

Are the plants live or plastic? I have a variety of live plants and the fish like to hide and swim thru. The younger ones feel safer in the plants, my 2 oldest fish pick on them. Plastic plants can cut discus. Also, poke in the eye.

Hope this helps! Good luck, they are work, but well worth it!

Tina

United21Soccer
05-16-2004, 01:49 PM
The plants in the tank are a combination of live and plastic. There used to be all plants, but i got tired of doing the whole DIY CO2 thing so converted it into some hardy crypts that don't need CO2.

One thing I didn't really want to do is to start the tank over again and go through the whole cycle again, mostly because it will probably be until sometime in summer when i make the conversion to the larger tank.

Thanks for the replies.

Carol_Roberts
05-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Hopefully you are not using an undergravel filter . . . :-X

United21Soccer
05-16-2004, 04:39 PM
lol of course i'm not using an UGF. It would be a bear to take care of plants with one. I have a Whisper 300.