PDA

View Full Version : Plants in BB tank

Discus_Newbie19
05-17-2004, 05:01 PM
Do you think having live potted plants in a bb tank is ok?
What type of plants would you suggest?

ronrca
05-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Some people do have potted plants in BB tanks. Most common plants usually are a species of sword plant but you can really keep almost any plant in a pot. ;) Make sure that you provide a really good substrate though.

Discus_Newbie19
05-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Well to keep palnts you need alot of light.. I need soemthing that will provide shade.. big sword plants should work
Thank you

ronrca
05-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Well to keep palnts you need alot of light The amount of light is dependant on the type of plants you have. Some plants do well in low light tanks.

Discusgeo
05-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Discus_Newbie19 I keep my Amazon Sword Plants in clay pots and the do fine. I have a couple of 4ft plant lights above them. If you don't want any snails in your tank then check out Aquatic Plant Depot which is where I got mine. They told me up front no snails, I asked this becuase I had a big problem with snails from another large plant dealer in Arizona and had to tear down my 180 to get rid of them.
George
8)
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/aquaticplantdepot/

pcgamer02
05-18-2004, 01:54 AM
I kinda want some snails, my clown loaches would love me for it :D

Willie
05-23-2004, 03:25 PM
I did this for a while but ran into an algae problem. I had swords in pot, with just gravel. They grew very well but eventually became covered with algae. The problem I had was that you can't get enough potted plants in a tank to maintain a good balance with algae. I had the same problem in a 55-gal with both a single strip and a double strip flourescent. Be interested in seeing your results.

Willie