PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reasonably priced Diatom Powder

stonebleu
05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Anyone know where to find Diatom Filter POWDER reasonably priced? Thanks in advance if you do.

aggie_67
05-23-2004, 06:30 PM
EBay!

http://search.ebay.com/diatom_W0QQfromZR18QQsosortpropertyZ1QQsspagenameZ ADMEQ3aBQ3aTB2Q3aUSQ3a2

stonebleu
05-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks, I have been looking there and it seems reasonable but then the shipping seems high. I'm trying to not be fussy about that but, I sell quite a few things on Ebay myself and it doesn't seem to me that the shipping should be that costly. I appreciate the link however because there are some other useful things listed there.
Again, thanks.....

Gary

Steve_Warner
05-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Hi all,
Gary, go to Wal-Mart and look in the pool supply section.....There should be a large box of DE powder for use in pool/spa filters for a couple bucks. I bought one a while back for my canister and still have tons left. If you can't find any large boxes of the stuff, let me know and I'll send it to ya for shipping costs(don't know about shipping regs on the stuff, though). Be very careful when using it, cause I believe it is a carcinogen on the lungs, but I'm sure ya know that having dealt with it. HTH

Steve

stonebleu
05-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks Steve,

I'll check it out today. I did find it at Big Al's and it was the best price so far including the shipping charges. Wal-Mart is right around the corner, so off I go.

Gary

Rick_May
05-24-2004, 07:44 PM
go by a pool/spa supply store. I bought a 55# bag for 20.00. Now I'll have enough DE for the rest of my life.

Harriett
05-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Ditto Rick--I went to a pool supply place nearby and got a 50 lb. bag for less than $20 and it will last me forever. Anyone in Chicago that needs some free DE powder let me know---I'm sharing. Bring a mask.
Harriett

stonebleu
05-25-2004, 10:58 PM
I found a pool supply store about 2 minutes from my house. I bought a 25 lb. box of powder for $14.00. Of course, I had already placed an order at Big Al's for 2-10lb boxes and with shipping, that was over $30.00. So, the pool supply store is definitley the way to go and I thank you for that info! :D

ramsey
05-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Is it the same Diatom powder for fish tanks? Is it safe to use a pool product in a fish tank???

Harriett
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
My understanding is that it is pretty much the same product--pure diatomaceous earth. I have used the 'pool supply' DE for almost 2 years and never had any problems with my fish or plants.
You MUST be very careful when you use it, hoowever, since it is an extremely fine light powder---if inhaled it will stay in your lungs and apparently there is some information about the DE being carcinogenic--just wear a mask when you handle it.
Harriett

ramsey
05-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Thank You I will look into getting some