PDA

View Full Version : NitrAte readings

etr63
05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi All
I have NitrAte readings in my tank of 12.5 mg\l. I have read here that it should be below 5. I cant get mine to drop below 12.5. Is this a problem? I do 40 to 50 % WCs every day. I have had problems with NitrIte in the tap water and though I do not have NitrIte in the tap now I still have them in the storage barrel. I have put a sponge filter in the barrel but still have NitrIte. When I do WCs the tanks bio filter gets rid of the NitrIte right now. I have read that ivy cuttings in the tank will remove NitrAte is this something I should try? Our water has chloramine and I use Prime. I age my water for 24 hrs do I need to use the Prime or will the air lines help remove the chlorimines?

Readings in the tank
Ammonia 0 pm
NitrIte 0 ppm
NitrAte 12.5 mg\l
PH 7.0
gh 7
kh 2

jules
05-28-2004, 09:40 AM
Here is the link on plant cuttings to control nitrates. I tried the Spider Plant;but it didn't lower Nitrates.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=6200

ronrca
05-28-2004, 09:47 AM
Haveing chloramines in tap water sucks because of the ammonia component. I do not have any sort of filtering in my storage tank because I feel that the bio in the tanks can take care of the ammonia from the tap. This way, when doing wc I dont have to worry about nitrates.

Aeration will not dissapate chloramines, one reason why cities are using chloramines instead of chlorine.

You can also use RO filter! ;)

etr63
05-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies
I bought some pothos yesterday and placed 2 cuttings in the tank. both cutting allready had some root formation. Does anyone know how long it will take before I see a drop in the NitrAtes?

Thanks
Earl