PDA

View Full Version : Layering glass

Rob
05-28-2004, 01:53 PM
I know the New England aquarium in Boston, MA has the glass layered on their giant 200,000 gal central reef tank in order to get the strength they needed with a tank 24 feet tall. You can't tell that the glass has been layered.
Can this be done with 1/4" glass?
What would you use between the glass panes to make it invisible?
What would the strength of the layered glass be, (in terms of 2->1/4" being as strong as a single piece of 1/2")?
I am assuming aquarium silicon sealer/adhesive would be used, but if not what would be best?
I have constructed/rebuilt many tanks up to 220 gals, and was wondering whether I could build larger and stronger tanks using layered glass.

ronrca
05-28-2004, 06:21 PM
I have not heard of this method but sounds very neat. I would love to hear more of this. ;)

Lauren
05-31-2004, 02:06 AM
That tank at the NE aquarium is really neat. Its a shame the building in general is really dark & all concrete. I recently heard there was talk of shutting it down?
I did notice while last there there was 2 main layers, almost like one was a backup pane of glass, but if those huge thick pieces are layered you sure cant tell! I always wondered how they dealt with an algea bloom :O lol

I also told Shawn "Can we get me one of these? Except fresh water!"

Somewhat off topic I'm sorry just curious if you knew anything

Rob
05-31-2004, 08:44 AM
I think there has been some un-official discussion about closing it, not so much as it is a failure, its just really a pain to get to, (Big Dig and parking are Big Pain), but because there is no room for expansion which they sorely need.
Some have talked about moving it out to Woods Hole or elswhere to combat these issues.
You are right, it is dark around the central tank, but think of the school of pacu's you could raise in 200,000 gallons!!!!

New England Aquarium History:
http://www.neaq.org/about/history/index.html

For me I am lucky I have Boston and Mystic less than an hour away I go to both often. Although Mystic has grown almost as large if not larger than Boston, and they have room to expand.

If I remeber correctly the guide at Boston said the bottom of the main reef tank has 6 2" panes squashed together, and you can't tell there are 6 panes.

I was thinking of using mineral oil between the panes and a stainless steel edge sealed with silicon. It looks like Boston used bolted steel frames and only sealed the inside pane with silicon. I'm not sure, the guides kind of look at you funny when you start asking about how the tanks are constructed.

Anyone out there seen or heard of any strange or unique tank construction methods?