PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose Pleco

T.O. Discus
05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Will Bristlenose Pleco attack discus? From my past experience, my common pleco always tried to suck on the discus whenever there's food in the tank.

Thank You

Lawrence

05-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Very unlikely but not absolute. I did have one like to defend his territory by sucking on large discus but will let go as soon as the discus swim away from his territory. No demage done on any of them. The contrary is true. Many bristlenoses became victims of discus attack. You have to create hiding places for them. They are not that smart neither. They always under estimate their size and get themslves stuck in small holes and crevices. Evnetually die as a result of it. Common pleco is more tenacious than bristlenoses. You have to know how to train them. I have at least one large common pleco in each discus tank. Some as large as 14". I don't recommand that unless you train them when they are small with a breeding pair. They will set them up straight for you.
Jimmy

RedestWing
05-31-2004, 07:41 PM
I have not had a prob with my Bristle Nose at all. Mind you I have only had him maybe 3 months, but he is big enough to attach to my Discus if he wanted. I got the Ancestral Bristle Nose cause they only grow to 4" or so and boy do they work their tails off ;D

falcon
06-01-2004, 01:01 PM
I've had the brisltenose for about six months now and as far as I can see no problems as yet.

RedestWing, a lot of people say that they are good at cleaning. Mine is hidden most of the day. I might see him on the glass twice a week for few minutes. What exactly are they supposed to do? I guess eat algea? Maybe he's hard at it at night 'cause I don't see him do much. He will come out at feeding time in hopes of getting some food.

falcon

RedestWing
06-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Well to be blunt, it does EVERYTHING ;D it cleans my glass, eats left overs and decaying plant material and loves my driftwood :)

yogi
06-01-2004, 11:29 PM
If you combine what everyone before me in this thread has said. They have told you exactly what a bristlenose is like.

They don't bother discus, they hide a lot, they eat algae and leftover discus food, they clean the glass.

I have kept them with discus for over seven years with no problems.