PDA

View Full Version : Tank Heater(s)?

XeBurnout
05-31-2004, 08:37 PM
I am currently setting up a 110 gallon tank. During the coldest part of the year there may be as much as a 15 degree temperature difference between the room and the tank.

A 300 watt heater is in there now which may not be enough.

My questions are:

How big of a heater would be recommended, total?

To prevent cycling I think I would like to have two heaters, one set at a lower temperature. In other words if one heater can maintain temperature it does, but if it drops a couple more degrees the other will come on. Does this sound right? What should be the maximum acceptable temperature swing in the tank?

How would anyone suggest I set this up, and what size heater should I get for my secondary heater?

Thank you for your help.

R/

Phil

RyanH
05-31-2004, 08:49 PM
I would just throw a 200 watt heater in your tank in addition to your 300 watt and set them at the same temperature. Then you don't have to worry about either heater being over worked.

Carol_Roberts
05-31-2004, 11:24 PM
I've got two heaters in my 135 gallon, 72 inch tank African tank (250 watt Ebo and 300 watt tronic) - one at each end. In theory both are set for the same temp, but in practice the tronic is on more than the ebo. This tank is only 8 degrees above room temp. You may need two 300's or 350's, especially if you want one heater to do the bulk of the work.

brandy
06-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Do you have the tank insulated? My 90 gallon tank is insulated on the back, sides, and bottom and I only use a 300 watt heater(Visi-Therm). With the heater turned up all the way I can get the temperature about 25 degrees above room temperature. The insulation doesn't look the greatest, but it saves big $$ on the electricity bill.

XeBurnout
06-01-2004, 08:06 AM
The tank is not insulated, although that is a good idea. That also gave me the idea to insulate the lines going to and from the canister filter. Those lines, which are small and have a high flow rate must he a big source of heat loss.

It's not that I'm worried about a heater being overworked it's that fact I don't want to draw the max. current if I don't have to.

I also realize that a finite amount of heat will be lost and needs to be replaced. If it's from one big heater or two smaller ones the net will be the same. But I was thinking how to get a more constant temperature and the advantages of having two heaters to minimize a disaster should one fail.

So putting them at the same temp and seeing how they actually run seems like the way to go. I can always tweak later.

In the Discus tank I used to have, I set the temp at 83 and took the temp from the top of the tank. Is this right? This tank is so much higher there will no doubt be a difference. I'm using a Fluval 404 which should give me enough circulation to not have to worry about temp differences.

Thanks for the help.

R/

Phil