PDA

View Full Version : water change during cycling?? (please read)

phishgroovin
06-01-2004, 01:03 PM
im cycling a 45 gallon tank with a sponge filter from an established tank (two sponge filters in tank). From my understanding this should only take a week or so MAX... Should I water change during this period?

fshngal
06-01-2004, 01:56 PM
are you feeding the established sponge filter with ammonia???
Or what are you using to maintain the ammonia level in the new tank??
Fshngal

RyanH
06-01-2004, 01:57 PM
If your sponge was already cycled in another tank then you are ready to go. If you are unsure about whether or not it is cycled then add a couple of teaspoons of ammonia to the tank (without fish present) and test for the presence of nitrItes and NitrAtes over a period of a few of days. If the ammonia and NitrIte levels decrease to zero and your NitrAte levels rise then you are good to go.

Remember, if you leave your sponge filter in an empty tank without fish then your beneficial bacteria will begin to die off. I would let the tank sit over night to let the water age and warm up then add your fish right away.

hth!

phishgroovin
06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
well i put the fish in a few hours after the water got to temp. and filters were going. They are only culls so i dont feel too bad, but they didn't eat last night or this morning, they have been in the tank a total of only like 20 hours. any more info?

kaceyo
06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
What about those ammonia/nitrate tests? Can,t make any reccomendations w/out that info.

phishgroovin
06-01-2004, 06:00 PM
good point, i need to buy some...ill be getting some today or tomorow probably

phishgroovin
06-01-2004, 06:01 PM
test kits that is.......

kaceyo
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
If you feel the fish are in danger of dieing i.e. showing rappid breathing and gasping behavior,abnormal swimming etc. you can do a 90% wc using water of same temp.(and dechlorinated) to "save" them.Also,many pet stores will test water for you if you cant buy tests today! Good luck, Kacey

Carol_Roberts
06-01-2004, 06:27 PM
If there are fish in the tank continue with the daily water changes. Larger and more frequent changes if sponges are not cycled . . . .

phishgroovin
06-01-2004, 07:10 PM
should i feel like an honored person that carol chimed in on my thread? Cuz I do....

Im at work now and will be off in like 4 hours, ill do a waterchange when i get home :D