PDA

View Full Version : NitrAte test kit

etr63
06-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi all
I use a tetra test kit for NitrAte. I get readings of 12.5.
In the instructions is this note
The tetratest NO3 kit measures Total Nitrate ion (NO3) concentration. to obtain the value for Nitrate-Nitrogen concentration in mg/l the value obtained with the kit should be devided by 4.4 .
So are my NitrAtes at 12.5 or 2.84?

Carol_Roberts
06-01-2004, 11:16 PM
I think there are 4.4 liters in a gallon? Your nitrAtes are 12.5 - do a water change ;)

Smokey
06-02-2004, 04:36 AM
etr63:
Your No3's = 12.5 ppm.
The N2's would be 2.84.

Most test kits can give you a reading in two[2] units.
Degree's - One degree [1] ~= 17 ppm [ as in degress hardness/or/ppm hardness ]
or
mg/l = parts per million - ppm

In your situation the test kit is giving you an option to read either:
NO3's - NITRATES
or
N2'S - NITROGEN GAS

If you divide the no3's by 4.4; you will get the level of the NITROGEN gas - N2's present in the water.

If you continue reading the instructions - this number is used, in conjuction with a denitrification unit.

A denitrification unit.- a unit which degrades NO3's to N2's; using a bacteria strain, which lives in an anaerobic environment [absence of oxygen]. [ I read this from the fine print in the instruction manuel].

An anaerobic environment "can" occur in - highly compacted sand / mud / sealed containers / rotting flora; - anywhere no fresh water, carrying oxygen, movement occurs. [ my simplified explanation].

Slicksta has posted some information, reguarding such a device.

One [1] U.S. gallon = 3.78 Liters.
One [1] Imperial gallons = 4.54609 Liters.
Liter [metric unit] is a fine unit of measurement; as in mg/l [ milligrams per liter / same as parts per million]. If you remember your high school chemisrty/lab's - units were usualy in metric.

Here in Canada, and many other parts of the world, Metric is used as the measuring unit.

Barb is correct; a w/c is a good idea.
Discus like very clean water; NITRATES - greater than 5ppm, is getting uncomfortable for them.

HTH

Smokey

etr63
06-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies
I do 50% WC daily + vac after feeding. The nitrAtes are allways at 12.5. I placed 2 pothos cuttings with roots on them in the tank on Sunday. I hope this will help but not sure how long it will take in a 55 gal bb tank.

Earl

aggie_67
06-02-2004, 08:26 AM
Test your water directly fron the tap, this will confirm if you have a water supply problem or a tank problem.

etr63
06-02-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi aggie_67
My tap water readings are
NitrAtes 0 mg/l
nitrItes 0 ppm
and due to the fact that we have chloramine in the water i get low reading for ammonia. There was a short period during heavy rain that we had NitrItes in the tap water but the bio filter knocked them rite out. the readings in the tank are
NitrIte 0 ppm
ammonia 0 ppm
gh 7 dh
ph 7.0
When useing plant cuttings such as the pothos do the leafs have to be in the water or just the stem and roots?
kh 2 dh
NitrAte 12.5 mg/l

Carol_Roberts
06-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Just the roots - the leaves will rot.

Keep doing water changes - maybe rinse out filters. If tap is zero nitrAte and you do a 50% water change tank nitrates should drop to 6