PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth fixing?

etr63
06-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi All
I was given a large tank. 6 ft long 24 in. high and 18 in. front to back. 150 gal? It has a crack on the front glass and the back glass has deep chips on one of the corners. Is it worth fixing? The glass is 1/2 in. thick. Do I need to use tempered glass or plate glass. I would love to have a tank this big but could never afford to buy a new one.

Earl

Rick_May
06-02-2004, 07:06 PM
plate glass is what you need. I'd think about making a plywood tank 8' long and use the 6' side thats good as the window.

FischAutoTechGarten
06-02-2004, 10:04 PM
junk it. isn't worth the possible failure after you effect repair.

tony1313
06-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Earl,
I rebuilt leaker close to that size and it is a huge job. I chipped one of the end plates trying to separate the 1/2"plates, the glass shops wanted $70 to replace it. Needless to say I just used it with the chip(it's holding out fine). You will also need to buy a new frame, silicone and other supplies. IMO either junk it or use the good glass plates for another project(like a wood tank).

Tony

Lauren
06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
If you decide to junk it tear it down, make afew plywood tanks & use the viable glass for the fronts ^^

Smooth
06-11-2004, 12:21 PM
I would say that it doesn't look too promising. I would either save the glass for a plywood tank or turn it into a lizard/snake tank.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17360;st art=0

That thread should tell you my experience with pictures of trying to rescue a tank, and it wasn't pretty.

etr63
06-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi All
Thanks for all the replies.

Smooth: Thanks for the link to your post. That convinced me its not worth the effort to fix. like you im trying to set up a fish room on a very tite budget. I had two other tanks ( a 20 gal & 29 gal ) that are also broken. im going to scrap them also. I guess some things are not worth cutting corners on ( no pun intended ). I may try the wood tank some day but not until we move to house were going to be in for a long time. I just love these fish and I have to have more. Who am I kidding? I want them all! Turn the entire basement into one giant aquarium. then give me some scuba gear because Im going in. ;D

Thanks

Earl