PDA

View Full Version : Marimo Balls - Lake Akan Moss Balls

06-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi everybody:

This is about the Cladophora aegagrophila plant better known in Japan as the Moss Balls / Marimo Balls.

I was reading throughout this department looking for more information concerning the plant -- well actually some folks' experiences with this plant in a tank along with discus.

As I see to date, there is no article or posting of such.

My interest and experience in Marimo Balls seems to be pretty intense. I had one ball produce a pup within a two-week period. Perhaps the seller didn't realize the size of the ball (a good thing!). But what I've noticed is that these balls seems to float and land on the tank's floor seeking food and ALGAE! It also takes cover from too much light (unless it's my loaches and corys chasing it.. LOL).

From what I've read about it is that it feeds on ALGAE.

Do anyone have more info or experiences in various Asian plants that may be suitable for a discus tank?

Much appreciated if you reply. Thanks.
*Angie*

jules
06-06-2004, 08:53 AM
I did a little research on Marimo Balls and I discovered that they are photosynthetic and move or float in response to the columns of light.
Very interesting little plant - I'm sure your silly clown loaches have a ball with them!! ;D

Julie

06-07-2004, 03:58 AM
Hi, Jules:

Yep! You're right. They're rolling them all about the place. Funny to see the Panda Corys doing a hamster-wheel exercise on them too. LOL

I suppose these Marimo Balls is compatible for a Discus tank. They are growing at a fast rate (which it is not a fast growing species in Japan!). Uhm... ???

Regards,
**Angie**

Here's a link regarding the subject plant:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77&highlight=marimo