PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam and timer for lighting

HueyN
06-02-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

i went by home depot a couple days ago looking for a piece of styrofoam to put in between tank and stand. All they have is the pink color foam. I have seen some blue ones. Can you point me to the right places to get some of the blue ones? I was thinking of just using that as the background as well and not painting the tank.

Also, what type of timers do you all use for light timers or timers that I can use for switching?

Thanks in advance!
Huey

Anonapersona
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
I noticed some blue foam fabric in the wood flooring department, looked expensive though. I seem to recall fromt he last Habitat house I worked on that they used blue foam boards, about 1/4" thick for insluation before the siding. I had writing on it, maybe not both sides, but I dont know. I'd like to find some blue insulting board or fabric to wrap my tanks in. Or maybe just paint blue then wrap.

Carol_Roberts
06-03-2004, 01:04 AM
I buy fabric remnants in neutral or sandy colors to cover the pink styrofoam - no sewing required - just tuck it in like making a bed or wrapping a present ;D

Howie_W
06-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Another place you can try are print or framing stores...any place that uses rigid substrates for mounting purposes. If you can find a place that is willing to sell you odd size scraps you can get them cheap and cut them down yourself.

As Carol suggested, you can place almost anything over them as a background. I use adhesive vinyl, and just adhere it to the surface of the board.

Howie

drew22to375
06-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I have also used coroplast for backgrounds too, you can get them at any sign company and they come in a variety of colors. They cost about $10 for a 4' X 8' sheet and they are also waterproof...

Anonapersona
06-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Um, what is that exactly? A sticky vinyl stuff or a foam board thing?

I have also used coroplast for backgrounds too, you can get them at any sign company and they come in a variety of colors. They cost about $10 for a 4' X 8' sheet and they are also waterproof...

drew22to375
06-03-2004, 08:08 PM
it is corragated plastic. used to make temporary signs. You usually see policical signs made out of them. you can get them in various colors and thickness..

HueyN
06-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far! :)

Does anyone have any recommendations on the timer? I think Home depot has some.

Thanks
Huey

drew22to375
06-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far! :)

Does anyone have any recommendations on the timer? I think Home depot has some.

Thanks
Huey

Personally I like the digital timers. They will keep the correct time in a power outage. And you can set up several different program times for lights, including specific days if you want too...

Jean
06-03-2004, 10:28 PM
;D Hi Huey!

I get the blue stryo at a couple of places; however the chain stores (HomeDepot) that we may have in common don't have anything but the white or the pink. I would call building suppliers in your area and maybe some of the chain stores we don't have.
What you are looking for is 1/2" thick stryo insulation made by 'Dow'. The stuff sells here for $7-8 a 4' x 8' sheet.

As far as timers go: it also depends on your lights. Traditional aquarium lights don't have a three prong plug So about any timer will work. The shop lights that I also use do have a three prong. For those look for "heavy duty" timers... those will accomodate this type of plug.

Another thing I have found is if you have a 'cluster' of tanks; go to the yard and garden area and look for an exterior timer. Mine cost only $20 and accomodates six three or two prong lights! I have a pic of it below so you kinda know what I am talking about. All the lights are in sync this way and if you want to change them you only have to do so in one spot rather than six separate timers! I just mounted this timer on my wood stand and it works great. For one cluster(back to back tanks) I have.

HTH some~

Jean ;D 8)

sn8k
06-04-2004, 12:39 AM
I had a mechanical timer like the outdoor one - but that sucker was always making noise (fairly loud clicks) and since my aquarium was near the living room, I trashed it. Setting up my new aquarium now and I'm going digital for sure. It's going to cost more (2 timers, one for the "day" lights & another for the "moon" lights) but I think the quiet operation is worth it.

Mark K :fish:

HueyN
06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

OK. Just picked up my tank yesterday. It's a 58G tank and stand combo from Oceanic. The cabinet stand top is flat with a square hole in one of the corner to allow for overflows and sump systems. Mine does not however have the overflow.

When I sit my tank on the stand, it is sitting level (checked it with a leveller). My question is: do i still need to put a piece of styrofoam even if it is level and it is a tank+stand combo that I purchased? The bottom is just black since the stand is black and i can see through the hole that goes down into the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!
Huey

Carol_Roberts
06-06-2004, 10:32 PM
You don't have too, but I do anyway. The stryofoam has a little give so the tank settles in a bit and is more stable. I like neutral colored bottoms like tan or gray rather than black.