PDA

View Full Version : CO2 - Overnight or turned off?

AndyL
06-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey folks,

Well I finally have a way to turn off CO2 at will now (Yippee). Question arrises - Do I want to? I could easily have the CO2 reactor turn off when lights go off, and back on with them - but would this cause too much pH swing stress for the discus? Or should I just not worry about it?

Andy

ChloroPhil
06-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I leave mine on 24/7 and nobody seems to mind at all, even with my really low KH. Re-adjusting everything each morning is asking for trouble.

Best,
Phil

United21Soccer
06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeah, turning it off at night might result in the constant changing in your water (like Ph)

Some people have said that they turn it off at night because dont have light to do photosynthesis, but it wouldn't do this in a tank with discus.

EDGE
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
It really depends on the co2 injection, the plantload, the fish population, and the kH.

Are you using a solenoid to stop the co2 at night?

M0oN
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
I had problems with my fish gasping for air in the mornings before the lights came back on, since I use an automated system I just threw in an azoo bubble curtain, pH level stays the same as well as dissolved co2 but fish aren't gasping anymore, didn't notice much of a change in the uptake of co2 in relation to how much pressure I had left in the tank...

vickie s
06-08-2004, 10:38 PM
I also have my CO2 automated with a solanoid and pH controller. I had lost most of my rainbows due to a CO2 end of tank dump three years ago, so added the controller about 2 years ago. When I first put the discus into the tank, they would gasp at the surface in the morining, so I added a bubble curtain on a timer. It come on about an hour after lights out and turns off about an hour after the lights come on - no more gasping. Many people have different experiences and solutions, find the one that fits your situation.
vickie

dom
06-08-2004, 11:49 PM
I was using manual regulator. Lazy to turn it on and off everyday. Was turn it on 24 hours per day and 1 bps. All fishes and plants are healthy.

After I sold the regulator, Bought the regulator with Solenoid. The CO2 will turn on follow with the photoperiod.