PDA

View Full Version : Enough Experience?

penguin
06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
I have recently been reading up on discus and would maybe like to try some. But, before i go any further i would like to find out if i have enough experience to do so. Although im only 14, i have been keeping fish for over 4 years. I started with a 10 gallon community. then progressed to a 55 gallon african cichlid tank and recently added a 75 gallon with a flowerhorn. I understand all the aspects of water chemistry and do weekly water changes. Do you guys think I have enough experience? Please excuse the fact that i am 14 hence i am very knowledgable in fishkeeping and have had great success to this point. Thanks :)

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2004, 12:54 AM
If you are willing to learn the basics and do the water changes you will be successful with discus. Ryan Smith, one of the admins of this site wasn't much older than you when he started with discus. ;D

Howie_W
06-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Hi Penguin and welcome to the forum! :)

Your age makes no difference if you are prepared to perform the regular water changes...you'll be doing them with greater frequency than you are use to, so just ask yourself if you are ready for this type of commitment.

The good news is...there are plenty of people on this forum that can help you...so don't be afraid to ask questions. If you love fish, then any and all work you put in will be returned to you through the beauty of your fish...and your friends will think they're pretty cool too! ;D

Howie

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-08-2004, 12:07 PM
I started when I was 15, and I was glued to the computer absorbing as much info as possible during those first few months. 2 years later and im STILL glued to the computer trying to learn everything about this fish! Just make sure you learn the basics and you'll be fine.

-Ryan

Anonapersona
06-08-2004, 05:12 PM
But, before i go any further i would like to find out if i have enough experience to do so.

You are way ahead of me, less than 2 years of keeping fish inside the house.