PDA

View Full Version : Modified RO system for water storage

drew22to375
06-08-2004, 05:12 PM
I was reading another post where people are using a modified Ro system with just the sediment and carbon block but no RO membrane to filter out the chlorine in the water on a drip system. I was wondering if this could be adapted for my water aging tank to filter out the bad contamanents ect that can hapen ocasonally like when they work on pipes, fertilizers in the water run off ect. Or do you also need the RO membrane to remove this. I really don't want to have to add trace minerals back into my water storage. Would this be a good idea for a little extra water treatment?

Smokey
06-09-2004, 03:57 AM
Yes ,
A - 1 micron string wound cartridge, and a carbon block cartridge. All available at the local hardware store.
Actually, you could use 2 carbon block cartridges after the 1 micron filter.
The string wound filter is 1 micron and the carbon block filters are 20 micron. Very effective in cleaning up dirty tap water, and removing chemical contaminents.

Smokey

NOTE: The carbon filters are 20 micron , not 5 micron.

aggie_67
06-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Smoky,

Why don't you like granulated cabon filters? I thought they had more activity (available surface area) than a block. I use sed, granulated, then block.

drew22to375
06-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Yes ,
A - 1 micron string wound cartridge, and a carbon block cartridge. All available at the local hardware store.
Actually, you could use 2 carbon block cartridges after the 1 micron filter.
The string wound filter is 1 micron and the carbon block filters are 5 micron. Very effective in cleaning up dirty tap water, and removing chemical contaminents.

Smokey

I was leaning towards 2 carbon blocks with 1 micron. I didn't realize you can get these locally where do you get them do the harware stores carry them? I've never even looked for them locally, Are they the same size as the ones you mail order for Aquariums or are they the ones for whole house RO systems.

Aslo would I still need a flow restrictor or do I only need that with the ro membrane.

One more thought I currently have a 100GPD RO/DI that I use for my salt water tank. could I just put in a spliter with a valve after the micron and carbon block.

Thankx

Smokey
06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Drew -
The off-the -shelf carbon block cartridges - one manf. is Rainfresh.
Most hardware stores/big block stores will carry them in the plumbing section, along with the housings. Theses are typical for under-the-sink instalations.
The carbon cartridges are ~2 3/4" x 10".
Same as the string wound sediment filters.

I would check to see if the cartridge housings you use, are compatable, with these cartridges.
When I received the housings with my R/O - I found they had smaller internal out-port water opening than the cartridges, I pick up from the stores.
A small modification and the cartridges work. [ a piece of hose over the internal out-port increased the size to seal the new cartridges.] easy!!

To use I just plumb the appropreate "IN" fitting and hook up to the water supply.
No flow restricter is necessary; just adjust the tap flow rate. Warm water can also be used .. water will be at the temperture of the tanks.

drew quote[One more thought I currently have a 100GPD RO/DI that I use for my salt water tank. could I just put in a spliter with a valve after the micron and carbon block]. ...
If I understand the setup -- you want to divert water, after it has passed through the carbon/sediment cartridges, but before it enters your RO/DI unit.
I would say - YES. Water does not know where it is going...

I imagine you could proberly run the RO/DI and still allow water to be diverted. Depending on the flow rate and amount of water your house can supply.

Remember - anything is possible.

Smokey