PDA

View Full Version : Number of starting discus

Valik
06-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Hey, I use to keep discus when I was a few years younger, and was looking into getting back into it again but had a question. Most places I look say you should start with 6-8 discus. Is this because they really do better with at least 6? or is it because with 6 to 8 you are more likely to get a breeding pair. Basically I am wanting to start with 3 or 4 but do not know if that is enough. If they really need 6 to have a good chance at survival I do not want to just go with 4. Also I was wondering what was up with the odd number rule? Is it ok to have 4 or do I need to either have 3 or 5? Anyways thanks for your time and any help you can give. Wave

United21Soccer
06-08-2004, 09:16 PM
It depends on a couple of factors:

1. What size tank
2. What size fish
3. How much time your willing to spend on them (water changes, ect. ect.)

I believe your tank is 55. gal from your message, so you should follow the 10 gal. per discus rule.

Also, are you looking to get smaller or bigger fish?
You could fit 5 well sized in a 55 gal, or many smaller juvies intil they grow.

hth

Jean
06-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi!

The fish are more comfortable in larger numbers which is less stress for them; that is the primary reason.

Odd or even #, it doesn't matter.

Jean ;D 8)

Valik
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info United and Jean. I didnt' figure why it would matter if you had even or odd. Anways they will be in a 46 bow to begin with and then I have a 55 and a 60 that are sitting in the garage that I would prolly move them into. My plan was to start with 4 but like I said if 5 or 6 makes their survival chance go up it is prolly worth the 20 to 60 dollars extra to pick up another fish or 2.
Matt

Carol_Roberts
06-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Juveniles feel more secure and eat better in groups or 6 or more.