PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage question

Ozzie
06-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I just got a 55 gallon drum for water storage and had a few questions.

1. What kind of pump would you recommend (make and model) to pump water back into the tank. The distance from the garage to the tank is about 20-30 feet.

2. Which heater and wattage would I need?

3. I know that a lot of people use airstones, but would a powerhead work just as good?

Carol_Roberts
06-12-2004, 12:10 PM
1. What kind of pump would you recommend (make and model) to pump water back into the tank. The distance from the garage to the tank is about 20-30 feet.Walmart medium pond pump (takes 1/2 inside diameter hose like python) or large Walmart pond pump (takes 3/4 inside dia hose - like garden hose)

2. Which heater and wattage would I need? Anybrand that heats over 90 degrees of 150 - 300 watts

3. I know that a lot of people use airstones, but would a powerhead work just as good Yep. I use the pond pump itself with the hose draped over the top of the barrel and the water cascades in like a waterfall

heckelcrazy
06-13-2004, 07:00 AM
carol...with your pump and cascade idea...where does the water come from to be pumped into your barrel...the faucet presumably ...so how do you use the pump to put it into the barrel? are you filling the sink in the kitchen or the bath first and then pumping it into your barrel? Sorry if this all sounds a bit dumb...im just struggling to picture what you are saying. I have 2x 55G storage bins and will be using a surge 7500 to pump the water from the barrels into the tanks. Will be aging water for 24-48hrs prior to each water change. (normally do 50% every other day). Have always in past had large bag of peat hanging inside storage barrel adjacent to large airstone. In New Zealand I actually didnt bother heating my storage water as the ambient temp in my fishroom was around 80F.
Here I will be using the return pump inside the storage barrels for agitating the water for several hours when it is first put from the faucet into the barrels but from then on in the airstone will be doing all the aerating. What do you think.

aran

Carol_Roberts
06-13-2004, 11:11 AM
the pump is sitting in side the barrel full of water and circulates the water inside the barrel. Here is a picture. (I put a lid on top to help hold the hose in place)

Carol_Roberts
06-13-2004, 11:14 AM
I run the pump and hose like that for three hours to raise my pH from 6.8 to 7.8. You need lots of surface agitation to quickly raise the pH.

06-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Spend a few more dollars and get a remote control on/off swtich for the water pump. This will save you from running back and forth to turn off the pump. Interruptions only happen when you start re-filling your tanks.
Jimmy

SmellsFishy0
06-14-2004, 03:50 PM
how would u know if your stored water's ph will rise or lower.......cause im thinkin of storing water but my ph is already around 8.0 dont want it higher-----AndyM

pcgamer02
06-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Test the ph out of the tap and then test it again after a day.

Ozzie
06-14-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the helpful information. I like your idead Carol about leaving the water pump on and just recirculating the water when aging. This saves me money not having to get a powerhead . ;D

jn4u
06-15-2004, 06:38 AM
To transfer my water I use a pump in Sweden from gardena. What is good with the transfer sand etc from the tank. The are also powerful compared to pris.

My pump gives 5000 l/h at a prise of 500 SEK. And as a aquarium pump the water flow good when there are some resistens in the way, I use it to my peat bomb.

http://www.discusfish.nu/blogger/images/pp/peat2.jpg