PDA

View Full Version : questoin about plant fertilizer

T.O. Discus
06-12-2004, 12:09 AM
Hi.

I have various types of plants in my tank and i use fertilizers regularly. I am running low on money$$ and I wanted to know if I can use plant fertilizers from Home Depot? I heard that Home Depot fertilizer costs cheaper and is also effective. If the fertilizers from Home Depot are safe to use, which one would you recommend and how would I use it?

I am using a gas CO2 system... does that make any different to the type of fertilizer I can use?

Lawrence ;)

ChloroPhil
06-12-2004, 11:12 AM
T.O.

Fertilizers made specifically for ponds are ok for use in aquariums, just be careful with the dosing as they're usually pretty concentrated. I wouldn't use any of the regular fertilizers like MiracleGro in an aquarium. They're generally very impure and are made of chemicals that aren't good for the fish. You could also look up a local hydroponics shop, they're generally got fertilizer chemicals that are of high enough quality and purity for aquariums.

Best,
Phil

AndyL
06-13-2004, 03:00 PM
You may want to go see Homegrown hydroponics @ www.hydroponics.com , a Canadian company... See the page on PMDD - They sell everything you'll need in relatively small quantities (So instead of buying 5-10kg of everything - you get 100-500g of everything you need).

I just received my second order from them (first was indirect - split it with a friend), they are great to deal with...

For all the PMDD supplies you're looking at roughly 20$ + shipping.

Andy