PDA

View Full Version : denitrators and redfield ratio causes cyanobacteria?

suisoman2
06-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

I have had planted tanks for years, one of the most common issues are of course algae. Throughout the years and lots of web-help I learned the tricks of the trade and could reliably produce tanks with very few algae ( no discus in there yet )

a basic principle in managing these tanks is to provide the right balance of NPK + traces . Now it turns out that high fosfor , low nitrate, makes a tank suitable for bluegreen algae , opposite for green algae. ( Redfield )

Now , I see a lot of plans for denitators for discus tanks etc... most people do it to reduce WC. But wouldn't this cause high phosphate levels compared to nitrate thus increasing the chances of bluegreen algae, and we all should know those are ugly and unhealthy for the fish , they may produce toxins. Would discus like those, I suppose not.

any input on this one?

suisoman Dirk

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/images/npratiotabel_eng.gif

ronrca
06-15-2004, 10:13 AM
One word! Waterchanges! ;) LOL! I guess this is another good reason to preform consistant wc's in a planted tank. Cyano is also quite easy to get rid of. ;)

suisoman2
06-15-2004, 10:32 AM
I agree, I am a WC man :) I am at 30% daily before lights out , the discus are 9 months old and there are 6 of them.

but I never saw this one mentioned when people are discussing denitrators technical side. I hope to create some awareness.

suisoman