PDA

View Full Version : white specks on tail fins

etr63
06-19-2004, 11:34 PM
Hi All

I have 8 discus in a 55 gal bb tank. today I noticed very faint white specks on the tails fins of a couple of them. I have been haveing trouble with NitrItes in the tap water ( Im getting very sick of this NitrIte problem ) cant figure out what to do. the readings in the tank
Nitrite = a very small trace ( allmost 0 ppm )
NitrAte = approx. 18 mg/l
Ammonia = 0 ppm

Also one of my smaller fish, a blue ss has a tear in his dorsal fin.
I added 7 table spoons of aquarium salt to the tank tonight. Im almost ready to give up. How can I win if the water is bad from the tap. We also have chloramine in the water. The fish are not dark, are eating very well, and seem to be acting normal.

acorn54
06-22-2004, 03:23 PM
my discus are always getting some kind of blemishes. when i first got into discus i was always concerned but now ,as long as the discus eat hardily and come to the front of the tank at feeding time i know they are all healthy
guy(acorn)

kaceyo
06-22-2004, 03:48 PM
It sounds to me like things are going fairly well.You mention a Nitrite problem but have near 0 reading.If the Nitrites are in your tap water try running a fully cycled filter in tap water before adding to tank.Discus keeping is,or can be,a challange.You must expect to have some dificulties along the way.Good luck,Kaceyo

etr63
06-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi Acorn

Thanks for the reply. I guess Im being an over protective papa. I cant walk into the room with out them rushing the glass and giving me those feed me eyes. They seem very happy.

Hey Kaceyo

Thanks for the imput. I have tried the filter in the barrel thing and had nitrItes in there all the time. We have chloramines in the tap water and the ammonia just feeds the bacteria. With out the filter at least I have no nitrItes most of the time. Ive been doing cold water refills after letting the tap run for a time first but to soon to tell if that is going to be the cure.

Earl

jrpatter
06-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Ok this one is easy, it doesnt have to be hard at all. First carbon will break down the chloramines into chlorine and amonia. then the carbon will also remove the chlorine. Carbon can in theory remove amonia, but the flow has to be so small that you really cant do it slow enough ot ever fill a refill bin. Ok now just put a nice filter on your storage bin and it should remove the amonia and the nitrites and leave you with nitrates (i prolly got it backwards but you get the idea). Now to remove the nitrates. Well they have a filter media that can remove em, or you can use plants. A plain old strip light over the top of the tankwith emergant floating plants should remove most of your nitrates. I esp like watersprite and/or hornwort. Those are 2 plants that will grow without much other nutriants. Generaly speaking it takes about 12 hours for this system to pull al the junk out. so after you refill your storage bin you have to wait 12 hours before you fill your tank. Also a heater to match the temp in the tank would go along way.

john