PDA

View Full Version : Decorating a BB

Cosmo
06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
My tanks in the downstairs fish room are bb, but my wife won't let me go without gravel in the upstairs show tank since it's part of the overall decor. But, I'm getting tired of vaccuming the 24 sq feet of bottom all the time, so I'm wondering if anyone out here can give me some ideas of how to dress up a bb with plastic plants, stones, driftwood etc - without losing the ease of syphoning the bb bottom?

Help!

ChloroPhil
06-21-2004, 07:26 AM
You could very easily tie some live plants such as Anubias, Bolbitis, Java Fern, and Java Moss to driftwood. That way you'll have the live plants and a bare bottom tank. :)

Alternately you can get some marine epoxy and pour that over a thin layer of gravel to fill in all the spaces. That way you'll have the look of gravel but none of the problems associated with detritus building up in the substrate.

Best,
Phil

Cosmo
06-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Phil,

Thanks! I had thought of doing something similar using gravel sealed to plexiglass plates with silicone that would cover the bottom of the tank, but then thought that any cracks between plates would create a problem. Your idea would solve that but I'm not sure I want to permanently affix the gravel to the bottom of my acrylic tank that way. Maybe a combo of your idea and mine? Dont' know, but great idea - thanks again

JIm

ps . kinda goofed in my posting, its 12 sq ft, not 24 but then, that's still too much to vaccuum :)

ChloroPhil
06-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Jim,

Adhering the gravel to a sheet of plastic is a good idea, but I wouldn't use silicone. If you're going to be emptying the tank to do this project anyway, you might try putting masking tape around the seams and pouring the gravel and epoxy on the sheet in the tank. That way you'll get a fully filled in bottom.

Best,
Phil

SmellsFishy0
06-23-2004, 10:01 AM
heres how i my BB is done so far not done but heres a so/so pic

SmellsFishy0
06-23-2004, 10:07 AM
oops didnt work....here we go-----AndyM http://forum.simplydiscus.com//attachments/file000.jpg

Cosmo
06-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Phil,

Nothing in the adhesive of the tape that might be a problem?
Also, thinking this would result in a solid sheet that I couldn't remove from the tank anyway... aaargh. Now, if I could figure out how to take this idea and somehow hinge the plexiglass plates so I could fold and remove (covered top tank).... those plastic thingies that they use for glass top hinges maybe???

Smellsfishy0, love your tank, but the wife wouldn't let me do that in the middle of the living area without some cover on the bottom.. Ordered some African driftwood from Drs F&S though as a start.

Thanks all for the thoughts and ideas... think I'm getting close, just gotta somehow figure out the epoxy/gravel/plates idea and I think I'm there.

This brings up a secondary question - anyone every done a study on how many turds a typical Discus drops in one day?? Geez, they seem to have gone into overdrive lately lol

Thanks
Jim

SmellsFishy0
06-23-2004, 03:36 PM
instead of using subtrate i used stone creation spray paint on the outside bottom.......looks like sand and with the driftwood and few oddball plants and nice lookin fish u hardly take notice to a BB ;D

Cosmo
06-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Smellfishy0

Now that's a cool idea! Looked at the pic again and could see it. Thinking putting an inch or two up the outside back of the tank could add to the effect too

Thanks,
jim