PDA

View Full Version : My Discus are chickens!?

KAAZ
06-24-2004, 11:59 AM
OK... here's my problem...
I have a 18.5gallon tank (I know it's too small) and I have 3 discus in there. Two of them are 6inch and the other one is a 2.5inch. The ph is 7.0 and I do a 25% w/c daily if I'm not lazy :sleep: the longest I'll leave it is two days. I also have two driftwood with plants on them, and gravel. But my discus are still what I call chickens, when ever I walk pass the tank they are scared to come to the front of the tank. I've taken one of the big discus to my local aquarium shop and he said that it is in perfect condition. I've noticed that when I put my hands close to the top of the tank my snake skin comes for a look, but when I open the lid he/she swims to the back of the tank.

What am I doing work??? ???
any help would be much appreciated!!! ;D

Mattzilla
06-24-2004, 12:06 PM
maybe try to feed them a small amount of food each time you walk past the tank. that way they associate you with food. i do it and when i walk near the tank they all come begging for food, they soon learn that you are not a threat but a source of snacks!!!

it also may be a number of other things. what are your water peramiters?

hth
matt

KAAZ
06-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a good idea!
I don't test for anything else but the ph and ammonia...
should I be testing for others as well?? and what should be tested??

nirfun
06-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I agree with Matt!
give them some food when you pass near the tank...
I did it and after a week they come to me when they see me coming near the tank...

and I give them food from my fingers... I love it and they love it too ;)

blaze
07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
mine will eat right off my fingers, even swim between my fingers and eat out off the palm of my hand. Before I started using beefheart, I used beef liver cut into (very fine cubes); the beef liver is somewhat 'sticker' than beefheart, so it will stick to your fingertips/palm in water.
Just get a nice fresh clean lean piece of live make sure to strip the membrane off, and remove any veine. Cut it in thin slices, then cut the slices into cubes, about the size of this []. Introduce it along with your regular feed.
A few days after your discus aquire the tast of liver , just leave a cube or two on your fingertip, until they gradually begin to trust you (as a food source).They will begin pecking it off your fingers. In no time they will literally be eating out of the palm of your hands ;D.
Mine will even peck at my fingers when I'm cleaning the tank.

please note, liver will foul up your water alot quicker that beefheart, so feed it before shortly waterchanges.

alex_m
07-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi,

IMO your tank is extremely small for your fish.

Do they even have space to turn around?

alex

lesley
07-05-2004, 04:55 AM
In such a small tank they have nowhere to go!!

Hope you're picking up a larger one! You should be able to get something through the Trading Post?

Cosmo
07-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Kaaz,

In a tank that small, with 2 six inch and 1 2.5 inch Discus, it's doubtful you'll be able to keep the quality where it should be. even after a water change, just their respiration probably sends the quality south within minutes, ok, maybe hours, of your water change. Poor water quality stresses them out and makes them "chicken". Gotta get them a bigger home
Jim

alex_m
07-06-2004, 03:15 AM
Hi,

and just to add something- since you have gravel, be very careful feeding meats and especially liver.

Your water quality will deteriorate in a nick of time.

good luck

alex

07-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Any fish will hide if a hiding place is provided. Remove all decoration and raise the temp. You will see the difference in a day. After they have get used to you and come begging for food. Then you can start adding the smallest driftwood and plant one by one.HTH
All my tanks are fully decorated and they don't hide. They all charge to the front of tank begging for food. Hungry fish is a healthy fish. Don't overfeed.
Jimmy.

alex_m
07-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Any fish will hide if a hiding place is provided. Remove all decoration and raise the temp. You will see the difference in a day. After they have get used to you and come begging for food. Then you can start adding the smallest driftwood and plant one by one.HTH
All my tanks are fully decorated and they don't hide. They all charge to the front of tank begging for food. Hungry fish is a healthy fish. Don't overfeed.

You have to buy a bigger tank first then you can start raising

the temp.

IMO his fish are very uncomfortable in the present environment.

alex