PDA

View Full Version : JUNE 2004 SPOTLIGHT - DOTTIE

DarkDiscus
06-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Q – Here we are for the June spotlight. I want to thank Dottie for her hard work and also for always being a great contributor to the atmosphere at Simply! We’ll get right to it!

Please tell us all a little about yourself. Your name, where you live, etc. Are you single, married, attached? Other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about? Plus tell us how did you get into raising discus or fish in general. We want the whole story!

A - Ok, here goes! You all know me as Korbi _doc, or Dottie. I now live in Southern Jersey, outside Atlantic City and have been a practicing veterinarian here for 30+ yrs, something I always wanted to do, my first “real dream as a kid”. When I could not achieve this in my home state of Massachusetts, my second choice as a registered Physical Therapist served me well through 2 marriages and 2 children, which was when I began my lifelong interest in fish.

Obviously animals have always had a big place in my life, just not where and when I wanted them. Horses and Dobermans were a must, but more difficult to obtain and I had to wait awhile, so fish filled the gap through my early days. They were many types of livebearers and cichlids. My kids still remember the Kribs strolling around the community tanks with babies while holding the other fish in the corners. This happened often. We would all lie on the floor watching the mollies or guppies or swordtails “delivering”. Those were the days! I still have 2 of those old tanks with slate bottoms and metal trim, a 2g useful for raising bbs and a 29g it leaks!! I’m so sentimental I haven’t been able to toss it, still want to fix it! I’m always wanting to do that with things, I hate to let go!

In 1969, our world was turned topsy turvy when I was finally accepted to University of Pennsylvania veterinary school after what seemed like a hundred years of banging on doors to get into a school at a rather late date, after all by their standards I was already old! So the fish had to go on hiatus for awhile. Then, later, after settling down here in Southern Jersey with my husband, children and a Doberman Pinscher, I setup my practice. The fish interest returned and my tanks came out of hibernation to be set up and added to for, this time, saltwater fish. These were indeed fun for quite awhile, one Volitans lionfish even living with me for over 9 yrs.

By then I had horses which I was showing and breeding. The practice was so busy that again fish went on a hiatus for a short while until in Nov. 2001, I hit the net looking for African cichlids to start back with. More on that later.

Anyway, on with the story. My son Rick retired from the navy (what’s wrong with this picture?) and lives with his wife and 5yr old daughter in Jacksonville, Fla. He loves it there. He has always liked the warmer climates. His older son, (previous marriage) is in the navy, married, 1 child, living in Vegas. My daughter Debbie and her husband Doug, and daughter and HER daughter (complicated huh??) live here near me. Deb and Doug have been a big help to me with this discus obsession, while not understanding in the least why I do this. They installed the pvc for the linear piston pump from one end of the house to the other for my tanks, to say nothing about moving those huge tanks into the house when I needed them.

Now for the latest in my saga, and this one is even scarier! Retirement plans! My best friend of 31+ yrs and head honcho for my veterinarian hospital and I have decided its time to get out of Dodge! NJ has become a sinkhole for money, with taxes, competition, restrictions and a high cost of living. We both would love to retire to a place where we can have our dogs and horses and ride down the road and in the woods safely so we can enjoy our later years. She and her husband have found a home with enough land for a horse and barn in Tennessee. So I am searching too and of course what do you think is the first thing I look for in realty? They think I’m nuts down there too! Water and large area for fish tanks. I do think I’ve found the right place, with all of that and a large pasture with pond for the horses. It will be so difficult to leave all that we have built up here, friends, family and devoted clients, but it seems the time has come.(Tears!)
But how will I move these tanks and fish all the way to Savannah TN? The horses are no problem, but discus? Oh well, may take a year or more to get to that point…

Back to 2001. I surfed the net for Africans and stumbled on that round discus-looking fish I remembered from years ago as a rather dull brownish vertical slow-moving fish with bluish markings that I thought rather uninteresting. But when I saw the newer models showing up on the sites like Jack Wattleys and Peter Thodes, I became somewhat intrigued. The rest is history. I still don’t have my Africans, but the intention is still there. Carol, your tank is an inspiration to me! And now that I will have much more room (much more room to breed, huh, Tad?) (boy am I going to have difficulty reining myself in, this could take couple of years, its only in planning stages) it will become a reality; I am insatiable!

Q - How many fish do you keep presently? What strains? Where did you get them?

A - Presently, I have about 50 assorted sized and colored discus along with a few cories and rams. Still have a few JW blue diamonds, Carys blue diamonds, red snakeskin and melons, 2 gold diamonds from Bruce with lotsa pepper, soon to go, along with pigeons, blue diamonds, cobalts and fire reds from Joe and Hans. Cary’s red snakeskin male is the one that about drove me nuts spawning with any female he could coerce in and out of the community tank, but he made the best father and that was the group that I raised. It was fun and Tad was the challenger throughout and helped a lot with the process. Tad, you were right, it is nice to see my own fish swimming in those tanks. So, someday when the dust settles, I will have the time and energy to go whole hog with these fish! I’m looking forward to that too!

Q - Do you have a dream strain of discus that you want to keep?

A - I DO have a dream fish! That gorgeous wild, dark, solid burgundy curipera!!!! Some of you out there know the one I mean, it has been at the back of what’s left of my mind.

Q - What is your home set up like? How many tanks, what type of filtration, etc?

A - My home set-up is now 2 large tanks, 90g and 125g in the living room on a relatively new, often flooded carpet, due to the 2 32g gathering water from R/O source that sit in between them. Over by stairway to loft bedroom sits the 65ghex and 2 20g tanks. Another 20g in the kitchen, a 37g here beside me at the pc, and in the extra BR, a 100g sitting on the bureau, & a 55g beside the bed. Heaven help any guest that decides to stay, because they had better wear ear plugs if they dont like the sound of bubbles. Actually, it is not that noisy with the linear pump, just the bubbles from sponges.

Q - What do you feed your discus?

A - My filltration is as follows. All my tanks have sponge filters fed from the central linear piston air pump, which I love. Most have AC filters, the 90g has wet/dry and the 125g has the Lifeguard with micron insert. These only cuz they were left over from saltwater days and as I alluded to before I can not part with anything that works. I have 2 Hot Magnums for add ons or emergencies and a vortex diatom.
Right now I feed basic primarily pellets HaiFeng Yazoo and Tetrabits. I also feed frozen Hikari bloodworms daily. I have used Diskusin, Ocean Nutrition 1 and 2, along with Spirulina and Omega flakes. I am not crazy about flakes. I think they pollute more than pellets, but I thought I would give them a try again. Wonder if they feed the Tilapia that are in the pond at the place I’m looking at in TN? Hmmmmmm? And no, I have not made beefheart yet, even though I thought your system is great, Carol! Know what? Now that I think of it, I remember years ago (Gawd I’m old!) I did raise red wigglers very successfully to feed my fish but I havent thought of that in all this time. Someone gave me a very large shallow stainless container to do it and used it for years indoors.

Q – What is your most exhilarating moment with discus? Any incredible specimens, surprise spawnings, whatever?

A - Exhilarating moments? Watching that Red SS with babies, just seeing them grow!

Q - What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

A - My most frustrating was seeing mommie dearest begin to devour them! I have read this one on the forums over and over. At least now I know how to deal with this one!

Q - How do those in your life feel about keeping discus or your fascination with animals in general?

A - Everyone in my life from early on has been frustrated, disbelieving and tried to steer me in another direction, obviously unsuccessfully. No matter what the goal was - school, veterinary career, fish, horses, dogs, any animals, men… HAHA! . When it comes to discus-keeping, the questions abound! “Why do you work so hard at a hobby?” “Why do you like a fish that is so difficult to keep?” “Why do you like them?” “They don’t do anything!” ”They just sit there!” I still don’t get what it is they want them to do. Dance a jig? Put on an act? Play a sport? Whatever! Years ago, I opened a Chinese cookie. The saying was: “the great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.” I carry this in my wallet to this day!

Q - Do you have any advice for newer hobbyists or any examples of mistakes you made and how to avoid them?

A - Advice for new hobbyists is like playing with fire. I remember being there. The biggest problem is lack of patience. The first thing we need is patience. No one can give that to us. No matter how often they are told to read, read and read it again, we read the same questions that tell us they did not. I guess this is just human nature. There is a huge learning curve in this hobby. I went through it and lost many fish while I learned, as did many of you. Perhaps this is a necessary step, indeed it is a necessary step in our ongoing education in the process of keeping and raising these wonderful fish. This forum with all the input over time from every one of our members has certainly touched every aspect of discus-keeping that has arisen. We can all be proud of this great accomplishment and it will continue to be a leader in this area. Be assured if you start in this hobby, you too will go through this learning curve, hopefully made much easier now by following the advice given by members of this and other forums dedicated to the “King”.

Q - Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some kudos?

A - Gosh, thanks go to everyone in this forum. How do you single out anyone in particular? Cary and Al I bugged a lot from the onset with crazy problems. Carol also helped with technical questions, and I really loved her beginner sections. Now the “incorrigible one”! He just wanted to challenge me! Tad I love ya, and those “babies” are a year old this month, believe that one?

Q - What do you see as the future of the discus hobby? Do you see more new hobbyists or less?

A - I see no reason why the future of the discus should not be filled with new hobbyists. The technology gets better all the time. The fish will sell itself by its own beauty. There are more knowledgable people today to breed and sell and maintain the fish in captivity so perhaps if there becomes a problem with in the wild there will still be a major population. So far, from what I have read and heard from the people that have been there, this is not yet a threat, but it must be monitored carefully, since the native people do depend on this for a livelihood.

heavyp83
06-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Great interview Dottie!

brewmaster15
06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
John does it again ....Thanks John for the interview! :)

Dottie, Dottie...what can I say but awesome autobiography! Thanks for sharing your life with us! :) We'll have to talk about that burgandy fish of your dreams ;) I'm going to be looking for more myself ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

-al

06-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Great interview as always. Good work John.
Dottie, I envy you. A green pasture with horses and dobermans running around. That's was my childhood paradise that I can only recall but will never appear in front of my eyes again. My paradise is now long gone. The river that I used to catch green Swardtail is gone. The trees that I used to steal bird's chicks were cut and the rice fields I used to catch Garamis and pleco were gone. Once there was green fields are now houses.
Jimmy

Tad
06-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I joined Simply in May of 2002 and I like others would sit back and try to absorb as much as possible. I remember clearly noticing those who posted the most with the most pertinent questions..many questions like I also had. I remember well Judi and I talking how nice of a person Korbi_doc was and that she was probably one of the nicest and most up beat members of the forum. Over the last couple of years I have spent countless "minutes" poking Dottie in her ribs...to the point she thinks that Im "incorrigible ;D"...I have to admit I did challenge Dottie to take the plunge into breeding and I can appreciate the fact that she now has some of her "Own" swimming in her tanks...to me that is the epitome of this hobby to not only successfully keep discus but to also breed them. I also think its important to know that I too have learned a lot from Dottie; for example to keep a great sense of humor when it comes to this hobby, to have patience in life (I do remember well the long term rehab from her knee replacement), to continue having dreams and goals in your life and not to become stagnant and that good friendships can develop on the internet even on a fish forum.
One of my dreams for this year was to be able to attend the ACA in Denver to meet special people like Dottie but those plans will have to be put off until Dallas in 2005...this will give me another year of some rib poking :P ;D ;) to make the experience in 2005 even more enjoyable.
Dottie, You have a full life, one that is filled with on going challenges and one that is a model for all of us. I appreciate your interview as I do know more about my "special friend"

with the highest regards,
Tad :P

PS: when I do succeed in breeding my Curipera, I have not forgotten that you are on my list of giveaways

oodi
06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
John,

Yet another great interview!!!

Dottie,

I enjoyed getting to know more about you! You're living my dream... dogs and horses!!! Wanna trade dogs and horses for the "incorrigible one"??? ;D

Good luck and best wishes for your retirement plans!!!

Judi
:)

paulmat
06-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Great interview John ;D
Dottie, it was a pleasure to read about your interesting life,and learn more about you.
How lucky you are. ;D
Watch out for that Tad though ;)

Paul

Carol_Roberts
06-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks, John!
What an upbeat, energetic lifestory ;D Dottie, I can't wait to meet you in Denver next month. 8)

Jeff
06-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Very nice guys. I enjoyed it. :)

06-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Great interview guys,

I am also one that has received great help.
Thanks Dottie :)

Ronald

Lynn
06-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the great interview! :)
Dottie you are a class 'A' act and a real gem! :thumbsup:
;D ;D ;D ;D

Discus_KC
06-29-2004, 03:20 AM
Dottie,

Great interview !!!!!! Tell me how to get my kids to mind as good as the sweet doberman !!!!!!!!

You're a diamond in the ruff !!!!!!!

Jack

oodi
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
OK, Dottie... where are the pics???

Judi
:)

chuck
06-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Great Interview John!
Dottie, good luck with your move, I only had the opportunity of meeting you at the NE discus meeting but In that short period of time I found you a very interesting and lovely person and I have no doubt you'll find many new friends and find the friend you leave will still stay in touch with you.

chuck

lesley
07-01-2004, 04:24 AM
A most enjoyable interview!

Hope you achieve your dream soon, Dottie.

Lesley

April
07-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Great interview dottie and John. nice to hear more about the person ive talked to lots on chat etc. always enjoy talking to you and reading your posts. good luck on your move..and hope you find a place for discus paradise and horses also.
keep us updated. :thumbsup:

Ardan
07-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Great interview! 8)
Best of luck with the retirement, looks like you will be plenty busy! ;D

bikhu
07-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Very nice interview guys. Dottie it was especially nice to read the interview after having spent time with you at Al's during the Northeast Discus Convention. I hope that this move you are talking about will not discourage you from coming to the next one. THanks for the great interview.
Peace,
peter

Jean
07-07-2004, 01:03 AM
;D Hey Dottie this was GREAT! I soaked up every word and loved it. Thanks for sharing all that; you are indeed a super person. I hope that someday we can finally meet .
...but in the meantime; find your dream place and enjoy every moment!

John nice job with the interview ;D

Jean ;D 8)

fshngal
07-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Dottie,

Great interview with full background. Hope the retirement plans move full steam ahead for you.

You are such an asset to this community.

John, thank you for the interview.

Fshngal :) Still waiting on Wayne.

DonnaMite
07-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Great interview you two!

Dottie -- you GO girl! You just sound like you're having fun no matter what you're doing -- I've no doubt the future will be bright for you too.

Donna 8)

Don_Lee
07-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Great interview, and great to get to know Dottie better!

Don ;D

bmrin1
07-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Dottie
Nice interview.
Brian

CARY_GLdiscus
07-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Sweet Dottie!

You Know You my Girl :-*

fcdiscus
07-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Been busy and missed this. Dottie is one of the really nice people in the hobby! Thanks for sharing. Frank

bryalk1
07-25-2004, 06:02 PM
dottie great interview. i look forward to visiting when you come back down to florida. :) :) bryant

DISCUS USA
07-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Cool interview 8)...always interesting to read about hobbiest past and future goals.Thanks for sharing.