PDA

View Full Version : Agitation...

Gnopvp
06-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Is it okay if I leave my water pump on to agitate my barrel of age water for 24 hours? Reason is that I usually wake up and change my water before I take my shower and head to work. After work I usually go out with friends and when I come back I go straight to sleep till the next water change in the morning. Just wondering if agitating too much will affect my water...

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Nope, agitating/aerating the water to much will not affect your water. If you have alot of chlorine in your water, it may be best to agitate/aerate it for a full 24 hours to dissapate the chlorine fully.

-Ryan

Gnopvp
06-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Thx for the info... ;D

krandrus
06-29-2004, 02:29 AM
What if you are not agitating your water. I have traditionally let my water age (pre-discus) for 3-5 days and there would be no chlorine left with no agitation. I have dropped the aging to 2 days now and still no problem. Will I be safe with one day or is this asking for trouble?

I have never seen a chlorine test. Where do you find them?

Kevin

jared
06-29-2004, 02:58 AM
chlorine levels are usually listed on your water companies report sheets.
Jared

Dkarc@Aol.com
06-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Chlorine tests are available from some companies, but can be expensive and are hard to get refills for the regants. If you can smell chlorine, you have it, if you can't smell any chlorine after agitating/aerating, it is gone (or the lever is low enough for discus use).

-Ryan

Carol_Roberts
06-29-2004, 11:33 AM
You can buy chlorine test kits at pool supply companies - Maybe even walmart has one with their pool supplies.

You must be carrying buckets to the tanks for water changes? Us grandmas like pumps and hoses much better ;D

krandrus
06-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Carol I would love to have a system like yours. Unfortuately an aging barrel in the kitchen would not go over well with my wife. I am thinking about a fish room in the next couple of year, I will be sure to automate it.

I have to haul the buckets from my basement for changes (good exercise), but I do not have to lift and pour. I use quick connects with my eheim cannister and I draw the water using the pump from the 5 gallon buckets on the floor. I use one kettle full of boiling water per bucket to bring the temperature up to 82-84 F. This process takes a little longer than yours, but it allows me to keep my hobby out of my wife's way.

Kevin

Cosmo
06-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Kevin,

I have my RO units in the basement and use a high pressure low head diaphram pump to fill the tank on the second floor using 3/8 OD hi pressure line (similar to 1/4 in RO tubing). I ran mine thru the walls w/ an upstairs switch so I didnt have to run up and down to turn the pump on/off, but you could simply run the tubing up the stairs when filling and putting it back downstairs when done if you don't want to go thru all that trouble. Pump and tubing would cost you well under $200. Jehmco.com sells both and you could probably pick up the same from RandalB I would think.

Beats carrying buckets!!

Jim

aggie_67
06-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Can also get chlorine test kits at the mail order places: www:bigalsonline.com and www.petsolutions.com are two I use but there are many more.