PDA

View Full Version : aqua clear sponge for penguin filters

acorn54
07-01-2004, 03:07 PM
okay,i've spent enough on getting filter pads replaced for my bio wheel filters.
need a sponge filter in the penguins. need answers to what aqua clear sponge sizes to get for;

penguin 125

penguin 170

thanks in advance guy (acorn)

pcgamer02
07-01-2004, 04:18 PM
You could just do what I do and empty the carbon out of the filter cartridge and re-use it. Im not sure if you even need the filter cartridges anyway.

acorn54
07-01-2004, 04:43 PM
i get alot of dirt collected on the filter pads so i would like to continue with mechanical filtering
penguin filter pads have carbon enclosed in plastic ,but i guess i'll try to cut the plastic enclosure and empty out the carbon
i tried rinsing the pads but after a time they they raggy and have to be replaced anyhow.

Anonapersona
07-01-2004, 05:08 PM
PetSolutions has clamshell type frames for the penguin that open and can hold filter padding or whatever. I bought the pads that they sell also but that was a waste of $3, I could have cut my own from rolled padding I have. The frames are $2.75 each or thereabouts, get two for the Penguin 330.

i get alot of dirt collected on the filter pads so i would like to continue with mechanical filtering
penguin filter pads have carbon enclosed in plastic ,but i guess i'll try to cut the plastic enclosure and empty out the carbon
i tried rinsing the pads but after a time they they raggy and have to be replaced anyhow.

Carol_Roberts
07-01-2004, 08:13 PM
I think Whisper makes a sponge that will fit. The long thin fluval sponges can be cut to fit too.

I don't bother with the gray clamshells - just cut any brand aquarium sponge to fit and stuff it in. Block sponges can be wetted, partially frozen and cut with serrated knives. I've heard, electric knives work good too.