PDA

View Full Version : Fluidized Sand Filter

The Lenman
07-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I looked around the website and perhaps did not put in the correct search words....Haven't seen much on fluidized sand filters for the discus tanks...Have heard they are very good, need little maintenance and great bio filters, perhaps even better than wet dry......curious what your thoughts are on them...am I getting misinformation on this product.

Was looking at two...Merlin and Lifeguard

Pick
07-01-2004, 07:50 PM
I have the lifeguard but ended up not using it as they don't deal with 75% water changes very well. I tried several different methods (all outside the tank) but getting it started after it was stopped at a very low level was always a challenge. I must add though that my tank was 24" deep. I have heard from someone who had pet shop that very large ones worked like a dream and would filter tremendous bioloads.

TC

Rick_May
07-02-2004, 09:52 AM
I've got one, but I'm not sure which one it is. it hangs on the back of the tank with water input form a cannister filter, it has it's own small power head that keeps the sand fluidized even if the cannister filter runs out of water and it holds about three pounds of the sand. so far (six months) I like it. the water in that tank is the clearest.

The only drawback I've found is that for a month after I started using it, I kept on finding sand in the tank.