PDA

View Full Version : Red Color in Discus

Discus_Newbie19
07-03-2004, 11:06 PM
My discus that are suppose to be red/orange arent very red/orange. They are about 4/5 months old, is it just thier age or is there something I can feed them to bring out the red color?
They do show red and orange just not very bright.
I am feeding Beef heart, frozen blood worms, JBL for Discus, and Wardley tropical premium flakes.

07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
True red color fade in and out according to the mood of the fish, water condition and the backgroud lighting. Seller will color feed their fish to intensify the redness of the fish. Their color will not fade when being frightened or netted. With the new breed of discus. Color enhencer is not necessary. 5 months old is still too young to show the full color. give them time.
Jimmy.

Molly525
07-04-2004, 12:37 AM
At what age can you expect them to be fully colored? Mine are 8 months old and not fully colored.

Carol_Roberts
07-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Tetra bits will help red color.

Most discus just start to color up around 4 months and continue to gain color for over a year

Discus_Newbie19
07-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks

Willie
07-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Red color development is highly strain specific. Pigeon blood types will develop red coloration as early as six months. Marlboros, Melons, some of the spotted types, will have pigeon blood genetics and develop reds a little earlier. However, Red Turquoise will not develop red coloration until 12 months. Too much red in young fish is indicative of hormone.

At the end of the day, don't worry about anything you can't control! :D

Willie

mutfish
07-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Mix a pinch of astaxanthin powder with just enough water to soften the tetra bits you intend to feed...in a couple weeks you will :o

Larry Grenier
07-07-2004, 09:55 AM
A little late to add my $.02 but my red-turk babies show alot of red at only 1 month. As soon as they begin eating food other than just their parents slime I add soaked crushed tetra-bits (Like Carol said). They get at-least one feeding of tetra-bits daily. Their parents are even redder than when I bought them as adults.

Also, this might be educational about mutfish's suggestion.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/brine-shrimp-direct-naturose.html