PDA

View Full Version : My semi automated filtration system finished

kalebjarrod
07-04-2004, 05:07 AM
when my wife cracked about the amount of hose buckets etc etc in the lounge I was forced to take my trickle system out through my lounge room wall and the rest is history.

huge project for a beginner,

do you have any questions?

kalebjarrod
07-04-2004, 05:09 AM
i had a few cahnges since this diagram

i have lost the rotating hub for the moment andd the trickle system goes particle filter, ceramic tubes, bio balls, final sponge filter over the pump ( more so to stop any gunck that may get into the pump)

kalebjarrod
07-04-2004, 05:13 AM
my storage tank,

as you can see its outside,

we have ultramild winters and warm summers

kalebjarrod
07-04-2004, 05:16 AM
ahhh,

and finally my tank

my discus are still quite small, but growing quick,

i did not want to spend a fortune on fish if my filter was not gonna work.

or the water changes didn't suit

kalebjarrod
07-04-2004, 05:23 AM
did i mention that the trickle system is hiden behind a false cavity in my outside fence.

from a distance you don't even know its thier close up you have no idea what it is!

ronrca
07-05-2004, 10:37 AM
:thumbsup: Good work! Thanks for the pics! ;)

YellowClaw
07-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Wow, I really like your idea! Great good job on running the pvc through your house. Do you have a smaller pump or filter running in case your main pump fails? Also, how about using some sort of insulation for your storage tank to keep from loosing heat in the winter months? You make me jelous!

kalebjarrod
07-16-2004, 05:53 PM
yeah insulation is gonna be me next thing, i didn't plan the cavity for the filtration very well, i haven't left much room for insulation.

i have no smaller pumps or filtration running in case of a failure but i do have 3 pumps i can swap if my pump blows.

long term power failure scares me, i have't come up with any ideas to keep the tank running yet.

i am about to install a master pump switch to turn off the pump should the sump run dry, i have also installed a overflow in the sump which runs direct to the stromwater pipe.

i have also just installed a very small pump on a digital timer which pumps out small amounts of water from the sump every hour during the middle of the day, the storage tank then replaces the lost water from the sump.

alls going good so far with this setup, i'll have to check my water peramenters again today and see whats goning on.

YellowClaw
07-17-2004, 01:35 AM
kalebjarrod,

The reason I asked about a spare air pump or filter is because it happended to me while I was home one evening. I live in Florida and we get lots of thunder storms (Tampa Bay Lightning) ;D one night our electric went out and I was left with dead calm water. I was thinking of getting a battery back up and connecting my small air pump with an airstone to it in case it happens again.

Sounds like you will soon have a perfect system. Keep the good ideas comming and continue with the great work. Your setup looks very clean.

As for insulation, it would be cool if there were some type of spray stuff that you could use on it...

YellowClaw
07-17-2004, 01:46 AM
What about this, will it work?

Frost King
48 In. x 75 In. x 2 In. Water Heater Insulation Blanket

Fits gas, oil or electric water heaters up to 60 gal. size. Includes plastic tape for easy installation.

Price: $14.49/ea

kalebjarrod
07-17-2004, 02:58 AM
Yellowclaw,

went shopping today and found a 12 volt water pump, only (1000lt per hr) which is connected to the mains power, it'll turn on when the power turns off.

so i put one of them on backorder, should be here soon.

that stuff looks great, i'm going shopping tomorrow to find something similar here in OZ.