PDA

View Full Version : Algae, algae everywhere!

marcw
07-08-2004, 08:49 AM
My tank seems to have an algae overdose!! I just can't get rid of it.

And now it's all starting to look really wierd. It's totally covered 2 plants I've got in there - except for very distinct, large spots all over the leaves. These spots are bare of algae, and the clean leaf is exposed. Odd thing is it's also done this to the rocks as well. All covered in a thin layer of algae (or something) except for large, clean spots. 4 other plants seem clear of algae and are growing well.

I use rain water from a tank in my aquarium. Could there be something in the water that promotes algae growth? And if so, how do I get rid of it?

I've tried 'Algae Clear' once or twice, but I don't want to do that too often. Seems to work for a short time, but isn't long before it's all back again. And does that sort of chemical kill off your biological filter as well?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

falcon
07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
How big is the tank, what's the wattage on lights and what kind, are you dosing co2, are you adding ferts?

give us some specs of you water and tank.

falcon

lesley
07-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Hello Marcw

I am in Victoria, use rainwater also.

Have three tanks, one planted, and two BB with plants on driftwood in them.

Only one BB with plants on driftwood has algae probs. I tried a "nice blue light" for something different, the algae started and although I have gone back to sunlight type lights the prob persists. I believe it is a nutrient imbalance and I would think that killing it won't help because your original problem is still there.

If you are on rainwater are you checking your kH levels? I find that letting the kH level drop to nil or low causes algae. In rainwater your carbonates get used up quickly. If you only start with 35/50 ppm say by the end of the day even you will have neglible levels and the algae will flourish.

If it is in a BB tank then constant cleaning will eventually beat it, in mine te algae is slowly losing the battle against my constant cleaning. If it is in a planted tank then making sure your nutrients are sufficient and having enough plants (more than two certainly) to get a little "bio system" going should mean that it will eventually balance out. My planted tank was about six months before I could say that I had beaten algae and had it functioning the way I wanted.

You could also try the planted tank section where one of the moderators has been having an algae problem and see what suggestions you can get there.

marcw
07-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Ohhh - still so much I have to learn!! kH levels? I was quite proud when I got my head around pH levels and Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate! You mean there's more?? ;D

Unfortunately, I have neglected my kH levels. I shall try to remedy that tomorrow. Also no ferts or dosing co2

It's a 143 litre (37.78 gallon) tank with gravel, a couple of bits of driftwood and about 6 plants. And 5 older juvenile discus (teenagers, I s'pose)

I have 2 30w flouro tubes. One is a Degenbao D-HG Water Plant Aquarium Light and the other a Sylvania Gro-Lux.

Also re the rainwater, lesley - what do you do when there's a drought? I'd obviously have to go to town water, but the pH level is sooo much more. Hasn't rained for ages up here in Brisbane (rain forecast tomorrow), so I'm now starting to worry about what to do when the water runs out.

falcon
07-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Marcw, there is no reason why you couldn't use city water. Read a bit and you'll discover that pH is not important, but stability is. Just make sure that you age the water.

Read a bit in plant section. I would look into doing a little of co2 dosing through sugar/yeast mixture. If you do that, I would try to fertilize at low levels as well. Your light is on the lower side, so you don't have to do much.

I think the rain water is giving you algea problems. If you decide to switch from rainwater to city, I would test the pH of rain water and then aged city water for 24hrs(in a glass). You'll know the difference and if you decide to switch, I would slowly do a mixture to slowly bring the pH up to your city water's levels.

Another problem could be overfeeding. I would read up a bit on different types of algea and try to pinpoint the problem.

If you have root feeder type plants, swords, you should give them root tabs to feed off.

falcon

lesley
07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Hi marcw,

I read your comment regarding the kH and had a wry smile as I remembered my reaction the first time I heard about it!!! I was dumb enough to think it was a typing error!! If you are going to keep using rainwater, you will learn that it is an important part of your water.

I have to use rain, we don't have access to city water. If you do, it may well be that the perfect water will be a mix of both!!

In the drought, well, and who knows if it has finished or not???? Into the fifth year here and although we have had 5" rain this winter, the most for years, this summer could well come on hotter and drier than ever. Firstly we had to decide are we going to keep the discus? decided yes, so that meant some water use had to go. No one was allowed to have more than one shower a day (and it was a case of "do you really need it?", showers restricted to wet down, soap and rinse off!!! The littlest room in the house, well, the country phrase "if it's yellow, let it mellow, if its.." well I'm sure you know the rest!! Bought in drinking water, visited friends with washing to be done under my arm... My family looked a little disturbed when I wouldn't let them have a shower but there I was emptying out what looked like to them perfectly clean water and replacing it with "their" water. My large planted tank proved the work that plants can do and did not need as much water changing as the BB's.
We got down to 12" water in our last tank (which was about three weeks discus water)and then we got some rain. My husband has always said that if we had to buy a water truck or a generator the discus were going, but he was trying to plan how we were going to cart the discus water too. He's now thinking along the lines of an alternative for when our power goes. My word those discus do get you hooked.

Regarding ferts and co2 in your planted. I don't use ferts, again the planted tank section will help, but I find that feeding the discus (pretty much on demand for me, gosh they do manage to look desperate, probably too much!) feeds the plants as well. I have got one of those carbon block units, although after reading a little on them am wondering how much it is really doing. My plants did look better after I started using it however. My plants are mainly vals, and various types of anubia, most on driftwood. A couple of stalks of Cabomba (is that how you spell it) have grown into a jungle up at water level and some duckweed that snuck in and I can't decide if it is a godsend or a curse!!

I have found that the daylight globes work best for me, the actinic (?) don't seem to provide the best light for the lowlight plants I have to grow.

Falcon, I have three tanks, all using rainwater, only have ever had algae probs in one BB.

Lastly, don't worry too much about the algae at this stage, keep the discus happy, make sure you at least have a kH reading!!!! (pH crashes can kill, I know) and I think you will find as I did, that once your planted tank finds its balance all will be well.

Lesley

marcw
07-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Wow! That's dedication for you!! I can just see the authorities turning up at your place to find you all dead from thirst, but the discus swimming happily in the background! ;D

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I've got a bit of further reading to do on a number of subjects.

Hmm - I think I might investigate changing to city water. There's usually once a year when the tank runs dry, and I'm pretty sure the tank water is the algae culprit. So - might be easier.

So how how exactly do you age the water? I can see this is going to involve another tank, isn't it? :( Hang on - I'm sure that's explained elsewhere on this site.

Marc.

falcon
07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Marc, to age the water, most people get a plastic garbage container that is large enough to accomodate water changes for the size of your tank. Fill it up with water, add an airstone for 2-3 hours and a heater to maintain tank temperature.

What I do, I have a power head on a timer that comes on at different times for an hour - 3x/day. I also heat the water to match the tank's temp. A 2F difference is not a big deal. By aerating and aging the water, you will ensure that the pH has stablized and chlorine has evaporate/removed.

You need to find out what is in your water. If it's just chlorine, then aging and aerating for 24hrs is enough and you don't have to treat the water. If you have chloramine in your water(ammonia and chlorine, I think), then you need to treat the water with an appropriate solution.

Before you do anything, I would do this test. Test the pH out of tap. Then pour some water in a glass and let it stand overnight. Measure the pH again. This will determine if you have to age the water - most people have quiet a bit of variation. Most people will have a pH of 7.6 out of tap and then 8 and over aged.

falcon

marcw
07-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Ohh - I knew this was gunna get complicated!! I just want a small tank with some beautiful fish - now I gotta get a bin and another heater and an airstone and stuff! :'( Where am I going to put all that??

Anyway - I did your glass of water test, falcon. My test kit seems a bit inadequate, but the tap water is something above 7.4 (guessing 7.6) and the water after 14 hours seems to be something more again (maybe 'round 8.). The tank water is 6.2, by the way.

Next step, I s'pose - find out what other stuff is in the tap water. Also sell oldest child to raise enough money to do this properly. ;)

falcon
07-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Marcw, I know discus keeping is complicated and requires a lot in terms of setup and your involvement and investment. As you can see, you have a variation in your pH. It's worth to age the water to stabilize pH swings as discus don't like that and would most likely get stressed.

And yes, I would look into selling your oldest child. ;) My two are already promised to someone.

falcon