PDA

View Full Version : Blue scorpions what do they look like?

nicholas76
07-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Gday everyone.

just a small request. Can people help me with a picture or two of what a blue scorpion discus looks like.

I hear they are a wonderful fish if you can actually get you hands on some.

thanks in advance.
;D

nicholas76
07-10-2004, 10:38 AM
HI everyone.

thanks for your help with the white diamonds query.

Now im finding it rather hard to find pictures of what a blue scorpoin would look like.

Can moderators assist please? anyone have any pics??

cheers

Ryan
07-10-2004, 12:47 PM
My guess is that Blue Scorpion is a fancy name for a blue snakeskin, maybe a fineline blue snakeskin.

Here's a picture of a "Scorpion Snakeskin" from Cary's website. I'm assuming they'd look something like this:

http://greatlakesdiscus.com/snakeskinlarge.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Rod
07-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Nick,

The name blue scorpian snakeskin was coined by Shaifullah Yeng from penang. According to mr. Yeng's book 'Penang Discus' a bsss has 4 variants and basically desribes a brown based ss overlayed with blue color. They vary somewhat in the blue color but are more or less solidish blue to irregular or fragmented stripes.

They are not that hard to get, they look like regular blue ss but the name makes them sound different. It's just a case of playing the name game with discus imo. I have some excellent quality brown based fineline blue ss available if you are interested, they are around 3" for $55 AUD.

Rod

nicholas76
07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Thank you for the information Rod.

At this stage im just window shopping , but thanks anyway.

Liz_Streithorst
07-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I was told that a Blue Scorpion was a cross between a BD and a SS. Sometimes they have fine lines, sometimes (as with mine) you can only see the SS by looking at the gill plate. I crossd my Blue Scorpipm female with a Flachen male(solid blue with some color on the fins) The among the kids are what appear to be solid Blue's, Blue Snakes, and Turks. I'm wondering if the striations will fade on some of the ones that look like Truks, same as they do on the Brilliants.

nicholas76
07-13-2004, 02:09 AM
spot on Liz.

I have since purchased a pair and they possess a lovely blue colour. They have the markings that you describe.

Ill update simplus with pictures shortly

Regards

Nick

Liz_Streithorst
07-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Great, I'll look forwrd to seeing them. I'll see if I can't snap some pics of mine and her kids after work this evening.

Liz

CARY_GLdiscus
07-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Liz,
Is right Male snake X Female Blue Diamond ;)

flukes
07-14-2004, 10:22 PM
I have a red SSS, just wondering what the cross there was? It has that nice wild brown look to it rather than red and has the blue markings down the fore head and under its belly.
Has to be one of my favourite fish and it actually paired up with a BD atm.

nicholas76
07-16-2004, 03:44 AM
how rude of me !

Ryan thanks for your help too.

I have my scorpion pair and they are stunners

in the tank and they are cruizin about like normal checking out the new environment. lights or on and no dramas at all

will post pics in a day or two! yahoo

they are solid blue in colour - extremely fine pattern markings on face plate

cheers all!

nicholas76
07-18-2004, 09:13 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=19718

Got them!!!

in the photo section

fine pattern in the face, pretty much a blue diamond apart from that

Jean
07-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Liz you are quite the cross queen!!!